1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lithium Battery???

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by tboooe, Jan 3, 2020.

1. EDIT...oh dear seems my searching capabilities need serious improvement. Apologies for the repeat question. I should be verbally flogged.

Just wanted to get people's thoughts on changing to a lithium battery. Aside from the massive weight savings (which frankly wont mean anything to a rider of my limited capabilities), lithium batteries offer much more CCA to make starting V twins easier. Even with a fully charged fresh lead acid battery, my 848 EVO barely starts and this is with me holding the starter for a few seconds. I am a Ducati noob so perhaps this is totally normal but I have a fear that my bike wont again if I stop for doughnuts, gas, a wee, etc.

Here is an interesting review on one lithium battery option from another forum:

https://www.ducati.org/forums/how-t...our-ducati-1x98-848-best-ones-buy-2017-a.html

#1 tboooe, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. FFS.... :mad:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blue touch paper now lit :bucktooth: ^^^

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Oh Dear... to try and keep this short, have a search through the threads but general safety consensus seems to be to fit one on a bike that has a Mosfet Reg/Rec, but not to do so on older charging systems like the 1198/1098/848. I also asked an auto-electrician and he said to me to avoid unless it has a digital reg/rec.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Go for Exact Start cables, they apparently give a better current flow to the starter @Exige will oblige :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. Oh sweet jesus step away from the keyboard pal !!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. :eyes:

8. Not bad, nearly three whole days of the year gone and it's only just appeared.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. May as well add 'what oil do you use'... only joking! hopefully there's enough on here to help the OP out, but it's a lot of opinion based.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. OK Flame suit on. I did a forum search for lithium battery but nothing came up. Oh well, looking forward to the verbal abuse and annihilation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. yup... aircon is your man.

• WTF WTF x 1
  12. I understand that olive oil is best as the bikes are Italian :yum

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. The main UK manufacturer of Mofset Type Reg Recs says do not fit Lithium with his Reg Recs. If you do then some models would need the location changing too to be safe, especially on some models - the worst seemingly being 848 / 1098 / 1198's amongst others.

He can get a proper Yuasa too - they upgraded on later 1198's and now do an even higher CCA model. Your cables will be shit and create resistance hampering starting as mentioned above :thinkingface:

Forum discounts available if you subscribe for Cables www.exact-start.com and Yuasa Batteries from Halfords... (just noticed your in the USA so Halfords no good for you - I post free to the USA even with the discount applied)

#13 Exige, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. buffalo springfield

• Like Like x 1
  15. virgin :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. virgin :bucktooth:

17. tight...

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. not for you little guy...

19. What tyre gives the best gas mileage?
    What range does your Mutley give on a full tank before the Yellow Light?

20. Over Inflated ones. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information