1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lithium Iron Batt In S4r

Discussion in 'Monster' started by laava, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Has anyone fitted one of these and if so, has it worked OK etc. Contemplating fitting one at the mo...
    Thanks, Al

2. Aw-Oh, duck for cover.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. This must be a new version, Lithium-Iron, perhaps they don't explode like the old Lithium-ion ones :thinkingface:. Either way Laava I suggest you don your tin hat pronto.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Did you watch Chernobyl?

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Contentious issue by all accounts. I prefer to stay OEM. So, Ive no experience of Li-ion. You shall also need a trickle charger thats specific to these batteries probably. But this debate can get as heated as the batteries, so beware. :) Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ok, then for a bit of back story, I have had a LiFe in my Multistrada for a wee while now with no problems. Not once has it burst into flames or exploded under my arse. That I am aware of. However, the batt in my S4R that was new a year ago when I bought the bike is useless and needs replacing...the major attraction is just the fact that it won,t need a trickle charger as it has so much more starting power. Anyway, I am now quite used to bump starting the monster down the gravel driveway...

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. You may need to change the reg/rec to suit the new battery - to avoid Chernobyl/tin hat onslaught

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bit of light reading for you. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate

9. I have a pointy stick?

10. Is it as destructive as the Brexit thread?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Brexit thread may well be far more destructive than Chernobyl - I think it's currently on par :D

12. Excellent start - point it at Google and say 'hey google find me a suitable regulator rectifier for my monster'

Don't do this at work :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Not nearly as dangerous as a pineapple.

14. Use a gun for that one...…………..

15. My bad, I just assumed an autocorrect function had changed ion for iron and you perhaps hadn’t noticed :(. Thanks for the Wiki link, I’ve learnt something now. Cheers :).

ps. I’d still watch out for incoming flak though:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  16. I see no reason for flak. There is nothing inherently dangerous about a burning motorcycle.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Funnily enough, I have come close to flames with this bike before. On a long ride, I had stopped on an intersection to regroup with a bunch of mates and the first one that stopped pointed at my bike and asked what that was squirting all over my engine. It was a ruptured fuel hose, it had just perished and was hosing the engine down. That was the end of that ride. And the end of the paint finish on my rhs side covers. Needless to say I got off the bike quick smart! It was probably doing it for miles and miles before I stopped...

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. As my mechanic told me when I asked,

"Lithium Ion batteries are prone to thermal runaway. Or, as most people call it 'catching fire'."

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. They now call it a ‘thermal event’ in the industry :bomb:

• Like Like x 2
  20. I recently read a superb article in one of the bike mags from the guys who make Optimate. They said that the issue with Lithium ION is that they so NOT like inconsistent or voltage spikes from the charging system (more than a 0.5v variation). Standard Lead Acid and Gel can take a big over-voltage without damaging them and as such chargers do this as a way to recover dead ones.

Basically the manufacturer said that unless you can guarantee a very consistent current flow from the reg/rec or around that 0.5v then don't fit one, if this means upgrading an older charging system to a modern digital/mosfet reg rec then fine, but obv that gets expensive. Newer bikes are obviously running these anyway so generally are okay with Lithium Ion.

Basically, I wouldn't put one on if I were you, too much cost versus reward.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information