1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Fixed - Lock On Pannier Is Very Loose - Video

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Riko, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Now what? Easy fix? If so, how?

Hate to bother my dealer again :innocent:

(Ow, since the first of this month I added 870 miles....so, I've been riding and not whining ;) )

2. The lock on mine got so loose it came out completely with the key after it got hard to lock.

The first thing that went wrong was one of the tips on the plastic mounting lugs broke off. Maybe then it didn't locate the pannier properly and so misaligned it enough to get the handle to jam, resulting in the lock coming loose when used.

In any event I called my dealer, Snells, and they checked the VIN number against a recall list and found that I was due to get the panniers replaced as the tip breakage was a known fault.

Give your dealer a call as yours might be in the same batch. Even if not, it's a repair item under warranty. Don't be shy to bother the dealer, it's part of their job.

• Like Like x 1
  3. your are talking about the mounting tabs, those got replaced on mine already (metal parts)

Those had nothing to do with the keylock mechanism itself

4. True, it may have been coincidence that both faults arrived close together. I haven't tried to repair the lock on mine as it is being replaced, but I did see inside the pannier that there's a cover held on by screws you can remove get to to access the lock.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mine had the plastic nut under the lock fall off. Dealer fixed. The nut fell in the case mechanism where I couldn't retrieve it. If mine was still on i would put some blue lock tight on the threads and tighten the nut.

• Like Like x 1
  6. so you think thats the case here? that plastic nut that fell off?

gonna look at it later today, hope I dont screw it up by unbolting the lock mechanism from inside the case.

7. The nut is what held my lock on. And I remember the lock not engaging properly right before the nut fell off.

8. I lost the whole lock on my topbox this way. That topbox had been on my VFR800 for a few thousand miles, but dropped out when on my MS DVT during the 600mile run in period. It must be a certain vibration. I replaced mine and locktited and wired locked it in for next time

9. Just had mine repaired at the same time as replacing the panniers' locating hooks under a recall. (Also the throttle control was replaced under recall).

I was told, with the lock barrel out, the lock just needed a turn with a screwdriver and 'the ball bearing popped back into place'. Not certain just how the lock is located, maybe with a spring loaded ball bearing?, but it wasn't much problem for the dealer to fix.

10. I think they did the throttle on mine too. I also paid £20-30 extra to have the air inlet changed for the larger 2017 version. They did the airfilter at the same time to avoid the extra labour costs next time.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information