1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lock Snapping - Its All The Rage!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Borgo Panigale, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Having woken this morning to the fruits of a local toe rag's labours, I thought I'd let the forum know about the epidemic that's raging in many parts of the UK, undoubtedly coming to a door very close to you soon....

It is called, 'lock snapping' - please do yourselves a favour and check any of the countless videos on YouTube - most are designed to sell you new locks, others seemingly for the benefit of the last 3 burglars in the UK who do not yet know how to get into your home, in less than 20 seconds.... and so quietly, that our big, scary dog slept through it, plus we haven't set our downstairs alarm for years.... we won't be submitting a claim, then!

The blaggard's tool kit is limited to Mole Grips, hammer and screwdriver, so if you have double doors, a simple £2 cable cycle lock round the handles inside would be enough to prevent a break-in, but if a single door, the message seems to be that locks prior to 2008 are especially vulnerable - in one video I watched, the locked door was opened silently in 9.2 seconds ...

Christmas is coming

Be warned! Good luck.

• Crap Crap x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Did my research on this when getting our new front door. This applies to Euro Cylinder locks and, like you say, takes seconds. I wanted a euro type as it’s a new oak door and we wanted the whole lock rebated in the door rather than having the Yale crap on the inside.

Newer ones like ours are anti snap and, although they cab still snap them, the door remains locked. Our keys are also the non-copy kind with a code card. Cost a lot for a lock but cheaper than a break in

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sorry to here that, not good. Thank you for the information. Andy
    PS the ‘poo’ is because we don’t have ‘that’s pants’

• Like Like x 1
  4. 40C6E039-CC43-4E63-AA0E-10509D6AF6F5.png
    Had one of these for many years. Stops the handle being operated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I replaced all of my locks a few years back. I took them all out when I moved into the house to check and found they were all prone to this type of attack.

I went for a lock that snaps but holds the cylinder in place inside the door so the latches can't be lifted, also some other security measures fitted to them which makes them difficult to defeat.

#5 Robarano, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. gutted to hear mate. thanks for the tip. just had the garage converted and part of the job included a new composite door with the latest yale lock with coded card. I will look to get a new front door asap, but will (a) make sure the alarm is on, and (b) put a simple bell dangling from the front door too.

As for the dog, I'm afraid you've got her spoiled!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Agreed Pete, she's a cat in dog's pyjamas!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. That video is a bit of a scam,euro cylinders should not protrude past the handle face by no more than 2/3mm so you cannot get any purchase on the lock to snap it,make sure you handles are fitted the correct way round,screws facing the inside of the house.Anti bump and anti drill euro cylinders are available at a reasonable cost, £15 will give you a decent lock,don't be fooled that a £50 lock is much better,they make the lock weak so they will snap and not compromise the door.
    upload_2017-12-12_17-51-39.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. If you have a vulnerable door fit a couple of sash jammers approx £5 each,easy to fit.
    upload_2017-12-12_18-17-28.jpeg
    Also if you have a old style sliding patio door,open the door and screw a piece of timber inbetween the head of the sliding door and the top of the outer frame to stop your door being lifted off its tracks.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. I had all my locks swapped for anti snap ones when I moved as I’d heard about this

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. #11 alexko, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Even the best diamond 3 anti snap euro cylinders can still be snapped. You can actually buy the tool to snap them from the very people that make the locks lol.

13. But it leaves the locking cylinder bit still in the door and that prevents it being opened.

14. Beg to differ pal, I’ve seen it done with my own eyes

15. In that case... crap!

16. I know mate, it is :(

17. The anti-snap ones are much harder to remove....
    I had the whole of the tools in my workshop to get in and it took ages.... albeit I didn't want to mess the door up.

18. Out of interest were you shown from inside or outside ?

19. What do you mean ? Did they snap it from the outside or inside ?

It was snapped from the outside which gained them access. They used a fair bit of force. But my locksmith told me they can all be broken just some more easily than others

20. Got to work this morning to be welcomed by the sight of the works gates which had been smashed in and one of our units rammed. This is the second time this year we've been hit. The first time they got away with my floor sander and this time they got away with a steam cleaner worth about a 1.5k. I think the damage they've done is worth more than their loot.
    There must be a market for this sort of thing, so who's the worse, the feckers that do the stealing or the people who buy the stuff without asking any questions.
    Just for info, my mate locked himself out of his house once and not wanting to do any damage called in a locksmith. Believe it or not he got into my mates house by the sliding doors, and all he used to get in were two putty knives :worried:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information