1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Time Trip? Here’s Packing Inspiration!

Discussion in 'Touring' started by bradders, May 6, 2020.

1. Amazing what the guy takes, or how little, and how well it’s all packed. One for you @PerryL for your trio north :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. I'll watch that. I always end up taking too much. :) :upyeah:

3. I took an Iron to Italy last year* :)

* I hate wrinkled clothes. It was a travel iron. Everyone wanted to use it. :innocent:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Would you take the oil change?

5. Plenty of talk about cooking but no food!

For anything that I do (and if I can get my eyesight approved) it will be just clothes. Not camping and not going anywhere cold. Also no fantasy about repairing punctures. If I get a puncture then I find a garage. Had one once on my first night in Spain, years ago. Borrowed tools from someone else who was in a car and staying at same hotel. Took off back wheel and got a taxi into town. The good thing about Spain is a) everything is open in the evening and b) they are so helpful. The taxi driver stayed with us at the bike place. We get back to the hotel at about 10pm. Dinner is still going and I can get pissed on the wine. Refitted the wheel the next day and car chap helps (I think he wants to get going and needs his tools back!) Finish in time for lunch and more food and beer. Afternoon is siesta time (I think that it's rude not to fit in with local habits!).

So, feck tools and cold weather clothes. As well as camping and cooking....

• Like Like x 4
  6. This guy has some interesting kit. Not sure we could get away with the machete...

7. I'd just pack a credit card, if I had such a thing

8. We have guys telling you how compact and light their packing is.... He carries a gun as well as the huge knife that, "he just can't do without...." His clothes are a tiny box and he was a big box of food that he puts, "somewhere",,, As well as cooking, washing, flying drones and photography.... I am getting a bit sceptical now....

9. All you need!

10. Take a gas cannister puncture repair kit. A credit card is a must, but doesn't help you in the middle of nowhere with zero phone reception.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Depends where you are going. My anticipated trips are Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Poland. They all take cards and are civilised... Well, apart from Scotland but I know credit cards work there......

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I try to take as little as I can.A few tools, puncture repair kit and clothes I can wash out and wear again and a lightweight feather jacket that doubles up as jacket liner or for cooler nights. I try to keep the top box empty so I can take store my jacket during stops for exhibition visits. That does me fine for 2 week tours round Spain & France.
    My mate let's his wife pack his gear and he still has stuff missing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Am I the only one that takes a dinner suit?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Perry you said you weren’t going anywhere cold......

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. It’s the states. Of course he needs a pistol and a machete! Lol

that shower is great tho, and I’ll be getting one of those. Double up a stuff bag.

Looking for ‘survival skills’ courses, as I have never done real touring as I’ve always been a bit worried about things going wrong.

Really fancy 3m just riding east then back.

16. No. @Pete1950 does along with his Del Monte linen suit :upyeah:

#16 bradders, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  17. How rude :bucktooth::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. IF I have enough freedom of movement here, I might need a tent and comfy mattress for an August or September trip here. I suspect hotels might not be open..

19. At around this time of year, I'll risk it!

Wash clothes? On holiday? same riding kit on every day and just enough else for food an beer in the evening - so not much required :confounded:

20. Anyone else clock the rally bash plate mounted tool box at the very end of the original video ? Had a search on t’internet but not much coming back other than a hideous sw-motech monstrosity. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information