1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Tour With 10 + Riders.. Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Rideouts & Events' started by johnny, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Maybe booking one of those organized group tours. There could be 10 to 15 bikes which really does not fill me with enthusiasm.
    The company makes the right noises and use drop off systems. But how can you ride your own way with all that traffic around you?

2. I find groups that size about as much fun as slamming my testicles in a car door, whilst ramming a cactus down my japs eye.

Because all you do is ride around worrying and having to stick to group speeds and the margin for error is much smaller than normal.

So unless you know each riders strengths and weaknesses then I would find it more of a headache than fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rip off the rear view mirror and put the pedal to the metal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I regularly ride in a group of 8 or more. But we do know each others capabilities well. Added to which we now all have the packtalk comms system and so can make sure we are all in sync.

I also ride in a large group every week with the DOCGB and we just take it easy (relatively) to ensure the most sedate riders can keep up and don't get lost.

5. Really, really, reeaallyy trying to say something positive ......... but I can't. I know riders who do this sort of thing regularly and have a great time ..... travelling at the pace of the slowest rider. The idea fills me with dread. Andy

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Large groups. The drop off system is horrible. Really interrupts flow IMO. If it’s organised I’d expect everyone to know where they are going and possibly split into groups based on absolute and/or how people like to ride. I’ve lead large groups and it does become tiresome. One eye on in front and one eye on the rear.

Much better to have someone as back marker. Then the group naturally get into front/faster pace and more restful pace. BM has to be friendly and patient sometimes;) and know the rote and destination

7. You must do this with your iam trips tho?

8. I’ve been riding in a group this past 3 years and here are, imho, the most important criteria that make it a real blast every single time:

1/ We all know (and like) each others, aside from biking. So each stop is a ton of fun, taking the piss of each other’s misfortunes and errors;
    2/ We all ride within the same average rhythm and experience level. I never feel completely lost or like it’s too slow for me;
    3/ We all share the same level of discipline on the road (ie if someone takes the lead, nobody passes or disagrees, nobody rides like a knob, no dangerous behaviors allowed. There’s a bit of speeding from times to times. Fast but disciplined fast, if you know what I mean).

The only thing I sometimes struggle with is that I ride my 916. And they ride Multis, KTM, Hypers, Guzzis, well you know, easy handling bikes. They often choose back roads where I suffer... We’re talking 300-400 km daily rides, 4 days in a row... And they ride way faster than I can in these goat trails... But when we get back on nicely paved curved roads, then it’s pay back time.

In a nutshell, make sure you know who you’re riding with. If not, it’ll possibly be challenging.

#8 Guillaume69, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Occasionally tour with group of 6 - 8 who have all toured together for 20 odd years. I still struggle with it and usually ride off the front or off the back.

10. My preference is for small groups, max 6 and use the buddy system. In my world, Run leader and BM physically reccy the ride and encourage riding for enjoyment. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ask the organisers if they mind if you splitting off into a smaller group. Are you going solo or with a mate or two? If solo maybe ride with the group for the first day or two and then see if there are any others that ride at your pace and want to form a small splinter group, 2 or 3 bikes. That way you'll ride the way you want to but have the group social aspect in the evenings.

There's a group I've toured with a couple of times where there are a couple of small splitter groups and then the rest. Expect some piss taking over dinner though.

12. Large groups using the drop-off system can be fun as long as overtaking is allowed - recovering position from the back (in front of tail end Charlie) to the front can liven things up. If overtaking not allowed then I would find a different tour group.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Don't really like people. Sounds pretty grim.

But then other people like package holidays and Saturday night telly... each to their own, I'm probably the weirdo here.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Overtaking other members is what potentially makes group riding dangerous. Open roads are not meant for racing. There are tracks to have that kind of fun.

Just my very own opinion based on personal experience...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Spoilsport

16. Who said anything about racing? IMHO no overtaking defeats the primary purpose of the drop off system; allowing everyone to ride at their own pace.

So long as overtakes are done in a respectful manner to all road users, no chasing each other into dimishing gaps etc. I don't have an issue with them. Rides I've organised the briefing includes overtaking as an option with the above instruction as well as no one should exceed, or be drawn out of, their comfort zone.

With smaller, cohesive groups overtaking isn't really an issue. Larger groups do need organisation, a briefing and some oversight/moderation where necessary. Have led a group of 43 bikes in the past, some of whom were DoS sceptics at the briefing. There were R1s to a Bergmann super scoot and everyone had a great day over a 180 mile route. The only issue was one speeding ticket for sub 40 in a 30 (one of the R1s :rolleyes:). Had that been a processional line abreast ride I reckon most would have gone off and done their own thing by the lunch stop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I have done group riding, everything from every man(and woman) for themselves to drop off system. Toured with up to 11 others, most knew each other.
    Big groups? I would now call that more than four. As numbers increase, everything slows down. Fuel stops, piss stops, food stops.
    For me, I would not pay for it. Much less fun and pace becomes restricted to the slowest rider, even playing catch up it will end up being frustrating. Even if allowed there will be someone whining about being passed. Someone always has a problem, a puncture, a regulator/rectifier that fails, a flat battery. Every extra motorcycle increases the risk. Also, two ups on tour? Every two up on tour will be 3-4 times the hassle of a solo rider when waiting to set off, make decisions, or when making rest stops.
    I probably come over as a bit anti social. Maybe, true, a bito_O but usually time and money for a motorcycle trip is precious and not to be wasted by other peoples lack of awareness.
    Keep to smaller groups or at a push, sub groups if allowed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bullshit. yous lot fecked off and left me lost somewhere around tyndrum.
    :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. :p :p :p

20. it's ok, i'm not paranoid.
    cvnts.
    take a map of the route. and chose yer friends wisely. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information