1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking At 848s

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Nwsparky, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Hello all not been around here for a good while, I got back into bikes on a 620 monster a couple of years back, the bike looked and sounded good but I didn't like much else about it. After 3 months I bought a Suzuki GSR 750 streetfighter style bike which I modded a lot and it sounded and went great but I felt ready for a race bike after 6 or 7 months. I bought a 2013 gixxer 600 which I'm currently selling, it's a lovely very capable bike but it just lacks something, I want something a bit punchier with a bit more character. A mate of mine who's had many Ducatis suggested I try again so I started looking. I found a few absolutely stunning 848 and 1098s in my price range which I think are unrivalled when it comes to looks. I've never ridden a Ducati sports bike though.... I realise service history is everything and can be expensive but ill prob do 3k max in a year, short sharp Sunday blasts. I love modding and polishing and I like bikes with character. I found the little monster really slow and almost agricultural to ride and it did put me off! My friend has told me to get some test rides done but it is easier said than done at the moment. Can you guys and gals give me some comparison between jap vs Ducati ownership and ride experience with regard to sports models.
    Thanks
    Dave

• Like Like x 1
  2. I came from jap bikes to a 916.They are quite similar in a lot of ways,apart from the looks and the sound.Best for you is to find some test bikes.Ride as many as you can.No use buying something thats not for you.A rubbish one is a rubbish one,no matter the colour or country of origin.Im glad I got mine and cant seeing me change but I am a bit of a duffer.Good luck in your search.

3. I came from blades to my 848 and love it. Can't see myself going back to jap il4s. The best thing to do as mentioned before is test ride a few to see if you can live with it. I have the base model 848 but have slowly modded it into what I am happy with. Ohlins all round, carbon fibre, termis...
    If your budget will allow, try to get a SE model as they have a few extra goodies on them.

One here...

Latest Used Bikes For Sale in Bradford, West Yorkshire - Ritebike Ltd

4. Keep them coming guys, there's a mint white 848 very local to me coming available in 2 weeks, it's up for what my gixxer should go for, it's got every carbon extras plus full termi system, done 5k just had belts done. I'm tempted to put a deposit on it and hope mine sells quickly, I could cover the overlap if I had too to get hold of the 848. Seems mad to let one like it pass me by on my doorstep. I guess White is not as popular but it is a stunning bike.
    How is the ride compared to rev happy japs? I was considering a blade ....
    Are the clutches all rattly? I looked at a 748 ages ago and it was very noisy.

5. Sounds like you're all set! White for me is the best colour but each to their own. No rattle from these bikes as they use a wet clutch. They are very different compared to the jap bikes so it may be better to test ride one first.

6. You'll love the 848 but give yourself time to get used to it, revier than previous Ducs and the clutch is WET so no rattle :)

7. 848 is a superb bike, cant really compare it to any other sports bike as it the first one i have rode in over twenty years, perfect for up here.

8. I have had Jap bikes galore, brilliant machines but no soul, currently riding 848 and 1098. Both bikes are fantastic and make me smile just by looking at them never mind the ride, well that is another story. You will not regret the move, trust me.:D

9. You guys are making my overdraft twitch! I Understand that the engine characteristics are different Id have to learn to ride it but I want character, I want different, my gixxer has taught me to ride again it's forgiving, fast, flawless but soulless.....

10. give it a go, been at it two seasons now on this one but still learning it. oh and the rort is addictive.

11. For me....its been a bit more extreme....came back to bikes 4 years ago....Always had jap bikes...bought a drz400sm....after 15 years of being off, i got to the bottom of the road...thought...this aint enough....bought a ź1000 a year later....mate talked me into a hypermotard1100s which i had for a year and sold (still wish i hadnt to this day)....bought an rsv4 factory, which i still have....smashed up mates r6 18months ago....had to buy it....sorted it all out....couldnt get shot of it for love nor money so managed to px with another hyper (1100evo). Got a ktm 525 last year which is my project bike (supermoto conversion)....so here i am all european....cant see myself going back to anything jap atall....if anything id love an sf1098....but i think id end up in the divorce courts if i did!

I think now with the 3 ive got something in there would have to be a duc of some sort...

12. Welcome.
    Agree with you on looks front.
    Had to decide myself a little over a year ago between SF 1098 and 848.
    Though the latter was easily fast enough for me the bigger engine just gave me the horn as I love grunt.
    Have a Honda 900 as well. No comparison. Like you have said 4 cylinders are just bland.
    Good luck.

13. Heads a bit cabbaged the dealer I bought my gixxer from has also got a white 08 848 mint but 11k and no termis, I know he'd have a deal as my bikes mint could swap tomorrow for a few hundred quid but the other one must have £2k of extras half the miles and only £300 more, he wants cash though. It does seem a good buy and as he doesn't get it in for 2 weeks it gives me time to sort the money side of things out

14. I'd go for the bike with extras. You'll end up spending it anyway

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. I was going to suggest maybe a 2nd hand 899, a vast improvement on a jap 600 but they are very linear, smooth like an inline 4.
    an 848 can feel snatchy on the throttle at low speeds but an easy and cheap mod is changing front sprocket for 1 tooth smaller, about £14 for sprocket and half hour labour to change.
    If you can get one I would go for the 848 Evo Corse, it has traction control plus quick shifter and it is a blast to ride, lots of low end grunt. I had the 848 Evo with full termi system and it had plenty of grunt wheelie 1st 2nd and 3rd on the throttle no slipping of the clutch needed all done on the throttle :)
    Oh the 848's are not that dear to service and the 899 is cheaper as no belts to change :)

#15 Cupid Stunt, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  16. Welcome Dave:)

17. Hello and welcome sparky Dave :)

I like polishing and hugging my bike
    Is it red ;) *cheeky grin*

It's a mad house in here
    Enjoy

18. Just want to thank everyone for their help today, been a long day of bike hunting on line, I made it to a dealers to sit on an 848 to make sure my 30inch legs would reach the Tarmac! They did, mostly on one side but they reached:)
    I just need to sell my bike, I may yet put a deposit on the local white one but I've a feeling it will be gone very soon!:(

• Like Like x 2
  19. Absolutely agree - if I was going to get another hyper it would be an 1100 evo sp....and if I every got an sf1098 - it would be an S

20. Well good news! The White bike was still available this morning and I agreed a px deal if mine doesn't sell in next 2 weeks. Excited doesn't cover it, the bike is a work of art, just stunning. Full Termi system and carbon everywhere..

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information