1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking At The 900ss ('91-'98)

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Jalfrezi, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 900SS, but am looking for some guidance as I'm not that familiar with years and variants. I don't have a big budget, so anything rare will be out of the question, but I want to get the best bike I can for my money (around £3000-3500). Are there any years that are better, or versions that I should look for? Any accessories that are worth looking for (e.g. exhausts)?

I'm also considering other Dukes, but the 900SS of this era looks great to me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fantastic bikes... go yellow

• Face Palm Face Palm x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The first ducati that grabbed my attention..GO RED for the base model and Yellow for the superlight:upyeah:there are seven on ebay at the minute from £1000 (bidding) to £4000.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. YELLOW

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  5. White framed versions 1990>92 seem to fetch more than the later models,superlight is the trick one but prices are on the up....all good solid bikes,some were prone to snapping head studs though,you should be able to get a decent one for your money.:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Hi.

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. RED deffo red, my first Ducati was the 900ss I absolutely fell in love with it, even when my girlfriend at the time left me I wasn’t bothered,
    And welcome yon spicy one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. 20180418_145512.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Any idea how what a fair price is for a Superlight?

11. There are four for sale on ebay;7K/7.5k/8k/9k......hope this helps:thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. OK, out of my league then :)

Thanks

13. Buy yellow by all means, but don't forget that yellow is associated with illness, jaundice, pus and piss...Red on the other hand is associated with passion, vigour and beauty...each to their own.

Go for the latest best maintained one you can find...find someone who was passionate.. They really are hidden gems.
    Don't bother with the superlight as there is bugger all 'trick' bits on them...the only difference is high exhaust, single seat and a plaque. The last model 97 has slightly different graphics but more importantly a modified fairing that helps to cool the rear cylinder.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. You can defo find a 900ss within your budget with a bit of searching.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. agree about the sl being bugger all different.. more valuable due to numbers but f all else...
    disagree about colour... red is associated with the devil, periods, stop signs, danger and anger... yellow is warm like the sun.. everyone likes sunshine...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Lets not forget that looking at the sun makes you go blind...

• Like Like x 1
  17. who said that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Welcome Dave

19. welcome jalfrezi

20. There's a very nice early 900ss for sale in Lincoln... (low miles, '92 model year, Ohlins, full Termignoni system, fully serviced, belts last year, desmo service done, new tyres etc - OE exhausts, spare clocks etc. available separately. Asking £5,500 and selling via Ducati dealer so that the next custodian gets peace of mind and options on warranty/finance) ;)

Are there any years that are better?

With most vehicles, the early purer examples usually end up being seen as the definitive ones for better or for worse... the early Supersports have a few quirks that make them distinct from later ones:
    • White frames on early bikes (91-93), bronze frames on later bikes
    • White wheels (91-92), black wheels (93) then bronze wheels (94>)
    • Full faired or half faired versions available - half fairings not easy to come by now
    • Desirable accessories either ape Superlight (e.g. carbon front mudguard, rear hugger, clutch cover, single seat unit, high pipes, cast iron brake rotors) or are race / performance inspired (e.g. Termignoni, Sil Motor, Arrow, Feracci cans, spaghetti / nest of vipers headers, suspension upgrades, flat slide carbs, upgraded brakes). Originality or premium period parts are optimal. Avoid anything with eBay tat bolted on IMO. If you want to see what a properly sorted performance 900SS looks like (and takes to put together) then @Desmoquattro or @Sev have wise words and fine form with these bikes.
    You can spend a lot sorting a fixer-upper... tanks rust, bodywork is not always easy to find in the right spec', running issues and electrical issues are usually rooted in poor maintenance or bodges. You'll want to know when the belts and valve clearances (desmo service) were last done (miles and time), you'll want decent tyres on it and for the condition to be as unmolested as possible. Clocks fade quite dramatically, and engine paint falls off even on well-maintained bikes. Depends on how they've been cleaned / stored I guess.

They're lovely lovely bikes. We've had a couple of 750s and a couple of 900s and they're great. Fab to ride and they look ace. Good luck with your search. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information