1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking To Buy A 1299r

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by stephen boag, Jul 15, 2022.

1. DUCATI 1299 S OR R
    Hi all, looking to scratch the itch and buy the above, must be loved.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Have you looked on MCN? Some of them going for less than what I’ve seen people ask for a 959 lol

D230331B-9823-4730-B188-AE68F21A0056.png

3. tha

thanks fella will do, the ideal scenario is to buy from a forum member a loved bike, that's had a few mods done to it at a sensible price, its not for flipping on as I believe they will hold their value moving forward, the reality is that you wont get any more bike buying a brand new one and new Ducati superbikes will only get dearer

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. not selling mine mate

• Like Like x 1
  5. #6 Shorty4045, Jul 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I think you are right to try and buy from a forum member if possible to improve value for money and reduce the likelihood of problems. But if it's not possible, then perhaps use a recommended source or ask forum members to comment on any possible purchase options you identify.
    Some of the large multi-make bike sellers are often no-frills outfits, and thorough due diligence is recommended to identify the most suitable option.
    Good luck with your search.
    Tom.

7. Many thanks for the input Tom. My learned bike dealer friend has commented that the 959 I own with the bespoke spec it has is as good as any other Didactic sports bike, he says in many ways its better, so I may draw a line under it...... Any thoughts on this from 1199 and 1299 road riders, as I wont be tracking it. Do I just stay put? Has anyone on here moved from the 959 to 1199 /1299 as this input would be valuable.

8. I haven't owned a 959, but I did own and ride an 1198 SP which was the last sports performance version Ducati produced before the Panigale arrived. I changed the 1198SP for a second generation Panigale R, which has many similarities to the 1299's but with an 1198cc engine for homologation purposes. It is a great looking bike with a slightly less extreme riding position than the 1198SP, which makes it a bit easier to ride, but still in a "sports" position. It definitely does not like going slow, and use in traffic can be uncomfortable especially from the heat coming off the exhaust and warming-up the rider. It's really a race bike with lights, and consequently works best when ridden fast, so staying aware and keeping an eye on the speedometer is recommended. In my opinion, the Mk2 Panigale R is a work of art, and would be a pleasure to own even if it wasn't ridden!
    The link below may be of interest.
    I hope this helps, and good luck with your search.
    Tom.
    https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ducati/ducati_1299R Panigale_16.htm .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tom, I *love* the euphemistically-phrased “warming up the rider”! I often have to do the ‘Panigale Hop’ if I have to stay still for any amount of time.
    Did you mean to say “cooks your legs”?
    But agreed with your last sentence! Gorgeous.

• Like Like x 1
  10. i ride my 1199r mk2 on the roads and used to on track, it can be frustrating on the roads at time (as are many ducatis) but the when you open it up on a nice bit of A road its all forgiven, its an amazing machine once you get used to it.

11. Funnily enough I called in to the Superbike Factory yesterday, as I was passing on a little bimble round on my bobber as I really have a hankering for an 899. I just love the look of them.

I was interested to know which of the Panigale's have plastic tanks & which have "proper" metal tanks.

Anyway, within their walls were a number of 1199's & 1299's, but they really did not look like "loved" bikes. As with most of the bikes in the Macclesfield shop, they just look like they've been put on the showroom floor exactly as the last owner left them.
    They have clearly not even been washed/polished & I just think that outlet is a good place to compare bikes that you might be interested in, to try them for size, but then look elsewhere to actually buy from.
    Having said that, of all the Ducati's there, the Panigale's anyway, there was one that I would possibly have been tempted with & strangely it was an 899 too ! I resisted though !!:joy:

12. Thread moved

13. I will have my mk1 1199r for sale, its been well looked after, the only downside to it is an ex cat D minor damage visual that has been repaired by insuerance by previous owner, 9k miles got quite few extra's pm me if you're interested, it's tidy and I took care of it, I'm currently abroad for my wedding hence not out it out for sale yet

20220628_190601.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information