1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking To Buy

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by BadBoyR, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Hi, new to the forum and bikes and I'm looking to buy a supersport s.

What deals can I expect to get from a main dealer or should I consider buying used?

2. Welcome BadBoy. Good luck with your search. :) :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome dude :cool::upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Welcome, best ask the main dealer to be honest he might throw some official goodies in, it's unlikely a used one will have had a hard life though not exactly the headbanger choice

5. Only a dealer will know what deals you can get and the question of buying new or used has to be yours.
    I love mine, best sports tourer that I have ever owned. 500 miles days are no problem on this bike.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ducati are currently running an offer where you get a choice of exhaust tips or panniers and £250 discount. They said they don't really discount and better to take these deals.

Is this correct? Just looking to find out what I can achieve and why did Ducati not state the RRP?

7. The exhaust tips are a complete wast of money in most peoples opinion as the main silencer and cat are in the box under the engine. The tips make no difference to weight or noise. I have the full Termi on mine.
    If you are going to use them then the panniers are worth having. I have the ST2//3/4 panniers for mine with a quick detachable frame, but only use them on rare occasions.
    If you go for the non S model then the quick shifter is a worthwhile thing to try and get thrown in, it is about about £200 to retrofit, but is well worth it.

8. #No £inancial discount on the RRP means no sale for me
    it's as simple as that.

9. I agree, would be good to hear what others have managed to achieve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I love mine.

For me it was about getting a fair part-ex price on the bike I traded; on top of that I got some discount off the RRP, got the alarm and tracker added, and got the 600 mile service thrown in. I regret not pushing harder and getting the next service included too.

One of my friends worked as a media buyer for one of the big ad agencies. He was spending millions of pounds of clients' money every week. He once explained to me that you should always ask for things which will cost the other party very little but might be valuable to you. The 600 mile service is an example. It is a chunk of money to me but nothing to a dealer, beyond a couple of litres of oil.

You've got to phone around and then weigh up the deals offered against distance and convenience to you.

Some of the Japanese manufacturers are offering free servicing, or fixed price servicing over several years. Some offer free insurance. Check these out too and use them as bargaining power: 'Mmn, I like the bike but if I buy the new MT09 so-and-so dealers are offering a year's insurance, can you match that?'

• Like Like x 1
  11. When I bought my scrambler 1100 - I got the Ducati discount for trading up from a 800 and a PX value that was very very good. (matched best offer + £500)

I discussed no PX and a discount and £500 was mentioned... as max possible...

At the end its all about the deal - how you pay etc...

Now on some models they have 0 or low rate finance... not sure on SS.

Its end of season.. so more deals on new to be had for sure now..

Shop around - phone them all - there is less than 40 dealers in UK (I think) so does not take long...

12. This^

There aren't buyers for new motorbikes in autumn and winter. Use that to your advantage.

Dealers also have monthly targets. If you can find out when their month-end is (usually the end of the calendar month) you can use that to your advantage too.

13. Hello & welcome

14. Thanks guys, will phone around, but almost new bikes are coming up at 11 - 11.5k

• Like Like x 1
  15. That would not sway me into buying a Jap bike rather than a Ducati. If you want a cheaper bike then buy the MT09 and spend your riding time wishing that you had paid a little more and bought the Ducati in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Given Ducati are a relatively small manufacturer with annual sales in the tens of thousands (2017 bike sales 55,871) compared to, say, Yamaha’s millions (2017 bike sales 5,400,000) there’s never going to be a significant discount to be had.

All you can do is phone around, see what may be on offer and then decide if it works for you or not. But the unit numbers sold just don’t work for significant discounting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Seen some really good slightly used deals which is worth the saving. Will be phoning around and trying my luck.

18. You completely miss the point. Other manufacturers are supplying better incentives, a canny buyer will be able to use this as leverage. Of course the salesman will make the point that a Ducati is a Ducati whereas a Yamaha is only a Yamaha. A canny buyer will be able to give the impression he is not bothered by brand and is looking for the best deal.

We're talking about buying tactics.

I own a new Ducati, my last two bikes were new Ducatis, I've put my wallet where my wants are.

19. Remember, in this life you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.

Good luck.

20. And also supplying a different product.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information