1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Looking To Dip My Toe Into The Panigale World

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Serkta, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Hi, I am looking to join the Panigale club. I am considering (funds allowing) an 1199s or 1299s.

Is there much difference between the models? Any particular things to look out for?

Any advice greatly received. Thanks

2. I do believe that the 1299 is a bit nicer to ride due to a smoother power curve. Not ridden my 1199 yet but the dyno chart looks like a 2 stroke. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. road =1299s / Track 1199s

i have both and i find the 1299 is a handfull on the track and the 1199 is perfect in its power delivery ( currently im faster in my favorite track with the 1199!)

• Like Like x 1
  4. A fair few folk struggled with the front end on the 1199 on the track when it first came out. Several of my mates gave up after multiple front
    end related crashes in the first year and sold the bikes. Its curious that you prefer the older bike.
    Do you think it is all down to the power curve for you, or have you tweaked the chassis etc ?

5. Glen good point, i have the head inserts and swing arm pivot from the 1199r which makes the bike handle as close to the 1299 as i could make it. i also lost the front on the 1299 in a corner, so it is/was also an issue from this model somewhat.
    i used to use the SC2 tires front and rear and was also told this maybe a cause due to the change in SC2 applicability on the front ( changed toSC1 and then conti slicks)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I must admit I prefer an sc1 on the front.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks all so far for your responses. I should have clarified that I will be looking to ride strictly on the road for fun and a bit of commuting. Cheers

8. Buy an 1199 that has had an after market exhaust fitted and a fueling tune attended to, it transforms the bike from nasty to civil. If you have a budget I would buy an 1199 that has had a heap of money on it sorting it out than a stock 1299, I was going to upgrade to a 1299 a couple of years ago but once getting back onto my modded 1199 it soon brought me back to reality.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. You may well need it re-mapped to sort out the hunting at small throttle openings. I had mine sorted at BSD Performance and it came out with this power curve. This is a standard engine and exhaust fitted but with the emissions kit removed and turned off.

1199 power curve.jpg

I am in the process of fitting Ohlins FGRT forks and TTX GP shock to sort out the standard Marzocchi's and Sachs shock. That will then be it.......for the time being.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1

10. Weirdly I found the opposite.

well, I found the 1299 less of a handful on track anyway atleast

• Like Like x 1
  11. Having owned an 1199 and I now have a 1299, there’s not a great deal of difference. They both have the passion and personality of a Ducati (not sanitised like most Japanese bikes). Yes the 1299 has more torque, so it’s a little easier to use on the road and for me, it’s a little bit quicker on the track. Personally, I’d probably make the choice based on what I could get for the money. If both bikes are standard, I’d have he 1299, but if you can get a tricked out 1199, I’d take that over the standard 1299.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Treat yourself to a Pani R, you're worth it (maybe) :blush:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. That will then be it.......for the time being.
    Yeah, yeah! A month, maybe. Maximum. Dave

14. I've got a 2013 1199s with Termis and bloody love it. The only bike I've had that I have no interest in updating to newer models until the move/improvement is much larger. Maybe the Gen2 V4 or I guess electric after that.

Anyone who tells you "oooh, it's missing the torque for overtakes on't mi local B-roads" is talking rubbish. For 90% of riders, the 1199 is more power than you'll ever need. It's got 170ish bhp at the wheel!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. maybe a differing riding style/ Suspension / Electronics setup at play, but i found the 1299 on track a handfull coming out of the turns and it would not like to have full throttle on the exit, the 1199 with the chassis mods i can get on the gas sooner..
    maybe its not the case, but only a seat of the pants issue :)
    but good to hear your experience though

• Like Like x 1
  16. IMO the 1299 is what the 1199 should have been... I had an 1199 for a couple of years and chucked a load of cash at it... Great bike but the 1299 is a lot better and easier to ride fast...

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. 1299, it's got the torque & power in equal measure. Which makes for a much more comfortable ride.

Not to mention, the noise of a 1299 alone is something special.

18. From reading most of the road tests, which I take with a pinch of salt at times, I stayed away from the 1199. I thought too much of an unfinished animal. When Ducati changed a number of fundamental things, (too clever for me know the effects) I was happy to jump into the 1299 pool. This was after a few years of Aprilia V4's, to introduce me to the Italian thang!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thank you so much all for taking the time to respond. It seems the general consensus is the 1299 for the road with a thumbs up for the s model. Although, the 1199s is also a good option. My budget is likely to be a max of £12k and I really need a termignoni exhaust fitted as the additional cost to do it separately is prohibitive.

So on that budget and spec it looks like an 1199s with termignoni is probably my only option, if I can find one!

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blimey that made such a difference! Cheers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information