1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Loose Bolts In Exhaust Sleeves

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by PCRR, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Hello all,

Any recommendations on how to tighten the 4 bolts keeping aluminium sleeves onto std cans??
    Can it be done without exhaust removal as one off the 3 allen key bolts is rounded off (Not snapped).

Also what's the best way to prevent it happening again.

Should there be anything between exhaust and sleeve to prevent vibration?

2. You have to take the silencers off to get access to the 4 bolts that keep the sleeves from vibrating, it's a bigger job than you think and you need a variety of good tools. I had the same issue, my dealer quoted me 2hrs labour to sort it out, I decided to take the job on myself, it was a big job but quite rewarding, took me all day. If you search " Silencer removal advice" on this forum it will give you an idea of the work involved. Once you get the silencer off you also stand a good chance of snapping one of the 4 bolts off, I just bought a good 2nd hand silencer as the fibreglass sheet between the sleeve and the silencer was in a poor condition.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Will have a look thanks for above

4. If you can't get the 3 allen bolts out that connect the silencer to the Y piece then this is the type of job to expect to get the silencer off.

IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0337.JPG

5. not keen on that. Think I will leave it to rattle

6. Just pretend you had a dry clutch fitted.

7. If / when I have to do it am I best replacing all bolts. Should I use any special washers or thread lock so I don't have to do it again. Also should there be something between exhaust and sleeve? Can I put exhaust wadding between?

8. I assume you are talking about the 4 bolts that hold the brackets and sleeve to the silencer? I used new bolts, spring washers and red threadlock, I have yet to see how long it lasts as I have only just finished the job within the last month. Suprisingly the bolts weren't loose when I got the silencer off, it was the holes on the sleeve that had got bigger with time due to vibration and was no longer properly clamped by the bolts.
    There is a thin layer of exhaust wrap between the sleeve and the silencer, it has been cut to size and not easy to replicate, this was the main reason I decided to replace mine. I lived with the silencer sleeve rattle for about 3000miles but it got to the stage where the exhaust wrap started to fall apart and eventually fell out the bottom as it soaked up all the road muck & chain oil over time. I even tried tightly wedging aluminium sheet between the sleeve and the silencer to stop the rattle but the vibration is that bad it fell out pretty quickly. Because it was such a labour intensive job to do on mine (lots of corrossion) I replaced all the bolts I removed as part of the new install.

Just a warning, there will be a lot of foul language used when you take on the job.

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/silencer-removal-advice.48075/

#8 Bananaman, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. Remove cans, Lock wire offending items, bolts cans back on

11. How do I lock wire the bolts?

12. How do I lock wire the bolts?

13. Lock wire is a good idea, I should have done that myself. @PCRR see picture below as an example of lockwire.
    lockwire.jpg

14. if I take off cans will do threadlock and lockwire.

thanks for the advise all.

15. hi,
    I know its an old post but could you try a aluminium pop rivet underneath? i know yours would be fixed by now but wondered what peoples thoughts would be as a solution

Do Not Sell My Personal Information