1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Loosen Rear Wheel Nut

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Brom66, May 21, 2018.

1. Is £42 reasonable for this service from a dealer ??

2. A packet of biscuits for the workshop would have been nearer what I would have expected :):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. About the cost of 30 minutes labour including VAT. Is the charge a part of an itemised bill for work carried out ? Andy

4. I'd have bought them hobnobs aswell

2nd time this has happened, snapped my 1/2"breaker bar again, need new tyres before trip to Spain, dealer did it last year no charge, took less than 5minutes. Rang them today said £42 labour which is 1/2 hour labour, never mind the 140 mile round trip and time lost from work..

5. Why do you feel the need to use a ducati dealer for the wheel?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yes agree, take the bike and wheel nut socket to an engineering shop, mechanic etc. With some folding in cash and asking for help.

7. Buy a Clarke CEW1000 electric impact gun and a 55mm bi-hex socket and you will never need the dealer to rob you for removing the wheel.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Took it to a dealer, because last year had the same issue, also three local tyre dealers even with air guns and a 4' scaffold tube, wo local bike dealers with impact guns all failed to loosen the nut.
    I know dealer got it sorted for free last year but to charge £42 for something that took no more than 5 minutes..

9. What did the dealer use??

10. When you do get it sorted a bit of anti seize may be needed.

11. If no one else could do it but the dealer could then I think they are allowed to charge a premium ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sort of pricing strategy that says “we don’t want the work”. Same sort of strategy being adopted by tyre fitters who aren’t asked to supply the tyre you want fitted so charge £50 to fit it. Nothing new there. I agree with Ricky, buy your own tools, Lidl were doing a mains power impact gun for £30 not so long ago. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ^^^^^^one of them^^^^^^^

Also great for front sprocket and clutch centre nut and other stuff I've not come across yet.

14. Clarke rattle gun as above. Works great getting the wheel nut off the MV and that's done up to 220Nm. Got mine when they were running a special for something like £50. Combined with a SpeedyMoto stainless polygonal socket, alloy ones probably not great for impact use, removal is a breeze. Previously was almost impossible as a one man job unless you put the bike in gear which isn't recommended (possible to damage case hardened gears apparently).

Does the Ducati wheel nut have a left-hand thread like the MV? Might explain why some people have a problem getting them off...

15. No it doesn’t. Issue most commonly arises when people either don’t know or forget to apply lithium grease to the threads of the spindle when they do the nut up. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. This is the one time I’m glad I’m an hgv technician. Never had a problem taking a back wheel off :)

17. OK, thanks. I use Aluslip on mine.

18. Have you tried the Milwaukee 3/4 cordless yet?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information