1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lorenzo Offered A Testing Role In 2020

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Android853sp, Dec 18, 2019.

1. According to Everything Moto GP, JL has been offered a testing role with Yamaha ! Andy

2. He could get a ride with Aprilia now seeing there’s a seat going ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. If that is true that can only be good news for him to straighten out his head before fully retirement/hanging up the leathers forever.

4. You can hurt yourself just as much when testing as when racing, you cannot race if you think the next off means you have a strong possibility of being a paraplegic. Meaningful testing only happens close to the limit so the risk is just as high as racing, he should walk while he still can.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  5. That makes for interesting reading. I had not appreciated the distinction. Andy

6. Does Rossi's contract expire next year?

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  7. Unless he gets his “mojo” back then I think that would be a wasted contract , no ?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Think it would be good for both parties. He can still be in the sport, if that is what he wants, and they get the fastest test rider possible for their bikes. Anyone faster should be racing in MGP...

9. Good point. Andy

10. I think everyone who is faster than him is already racing in Motogp...the whole grid full. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Very true.
    Shane Byrne had his career ending injury while testing at Snetterton.

12. Very interesting and a win / win situation for Yamaha.

If he's quick, there could be a route back, let's face it, he was the fastest Yamaha man only a few years back. If it doesn't work out, it's easy to end it.

13. Yamaha have more problems than a lack of speed, lorenzo knows how to make the most of the yamaha.

14. My issue with this is that Lorenzo's natural style is corner speed, he worked hard to let that go at Ducati, but it's in his DNA and I think on the Yamaha he will revert to this. The issue is that to beat the Honda, and the Ducati the bike (IMO) needs to develop into a stop/start bike otherwise if it's behind Ducati's and Honda's they will pass it on the brakes and negate the advantage in the corner like they do now. They need some test riders renouned for this style of riding, tbh maybe more like Cal Crutchlow when his LCR contract is up. That said, I think Lorenzo is exceptional to watch on a bike and if he finds his happy place there then great stuff.

15. At his best Jorge was fabulous to watch, relentlessly accurate and metronomic and a worthy 6 x champion. By May 2020 he will be 33 years old.
    Recovering from the mental worry of a broken neck might be possible if he were 23 and very hungry but even those with very little imagination would take a season to be fully back on the pace (and maybe never). If you are worrying about falling off you will not be going fast enough and that applies to all racers whatever their level.
    Jorge is/was a bit of a worrier, he was never much of a threat in the wet after that big crash at Assen.
    He has nothing to prove and everything to lose so I hope he walks away.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I was hopeing we had seen the back of him

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Perhaps he's been offered the hot-dog franchise can't imagine what use he'd be for anything else
    He's not exactly given value for money in the last 3 seasons but then neither has Cal

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Spot on.

19. Wow! that's a harsh assesment of a 6 times World Champion. I'll accept that he didnt deliver at Ducati, and was way off the pace at Honda, but on his day he could still set a blistering pace on the Ducati.
    Back testing the Yamaha I think he could give some real insight in matching the other two teams

20. What's use will he be when there testing on wet days perhaps he will sit in his trailer and sulk thinking up excuses why he's so slow.
    At least Cal can crash in the wet and dry
    I bet Rossi is peeing himself Jaylo left as a world champ returns as the goffer

Do Not Sell My Personal Information