1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Loss Of Power

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by yev, Nov 19, 2018.

1. sudden loss of power on the way home from work tonight . Bike started sounding like a tractor and backfiring left right centre. ( full system so sounded like a gunfire)
    Managed to bring it home ( wasn’t that far away) thinking back to this morning it didn’t really feel right to start with but cleared out eventually. Bike locked safely in my garage now,will have to check out at the weekend. Any ideas? Could it be plugs? Sounds like running on half a cylinder?

2. Was it raining??

3. No but I washed bike yesterday for quite a long time. Could it be an issue?

4. Water collecting in plug wells can be an issue, especially if you have stick coils. Also, if water gets into the fuel, it doesn’t help.
    Checking the plugs and spark is a good place to start.

5. What would be correct plugs for my bike? Do I really need to spend £65 for a pair??

6. Sounds a lot of money.
    You could try putting your registration into the Halfords website.
    Try the NGK website too.
    I have NGK iridiums in my 999 and they were only about a tenner each iirc.

7. 1199 plugs... NGK MAR9A-J. Shop around... Sparkplugs.com sells them for $11.50 per plug. Backfiring from the exhaust occurs when the fuel ratio is too rich, and there are several sensors on the 1199 which provide data to the ECU to determine fueling. Examine the electrical connectors for any signs of water infiltration if you believe that washing the bike may have caused the problem.

8. yeah, thats better... £11 each.
    but maybe my plugs are fine and just water got in to the connectors under the seat. better check them out first

9. and strong smell of fuel

10. My money is on water ingress in the electrics. I'd be very surprised if you need to replace spark plugs or anything like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Took out verical plug. It is black! Replaced... how the fuck do it to horizontal plug?

12. there is a small access piece between the upper and lower radiator, it has two vertical screw heads on it. but it might be a tight fit

13. Can’t get through it

14. yep i have heard its a bit tight, if you have the main fairing off, then release the cooling module from its mounts and it should swing forward giving you some more room to access the plug.

remove the 2 in the middle and look for the 2 upper bolts and the lower single bolt behind the oil sump plug should let you swing the module forward a little ( support the weight on a block or similar)

15. Blimey, it’s right there on a 999...

16. You can follow this procedure if you're working off of the shop floor. With regards to the radiator during this procedure... elastic straps can be loosely attached to offer a bit of support.

Note: An access cover is located on the radiator mounting bracket/holder. The shop manual suggests that the horizontal spark plug can be removed and reinstalled through this opening. Do not attempt to remove or reinstall the horizontal spark plug in this manner. Proceed as follows:

1. Release the coolant overflow hose coming from the coolant expansion reservoir and the fuel vent/drip hose coming from the fuel tank from the nipples on the air extractor.

2. Release the coolant overflow hose from the air extractor clip.

3. Release the fuel vent/drip hose from the clips on the radiator mounting bracket/holder.

4. Release the clip and remove the small hose from the radiator filler neck which leads to the coolant expansion reservoir. Release the hose from the clips next to the coolant expansion reservoir.

5. Release the coolant overflow hose from the clips next to the coolant expansion reservoir.

6. Reinsert the small hose which was removed from the radiator filler neck back into the clips next to the coolant expansion reservoir to prevent coolant loss.

7. Release the two quick release fasteners which hold the radiator mounting bracket/holder to the mudflap.

8. Remove the fuse/battery cover.

9. Remove the two upper fasteners securing the radiator mounting bracket/holder to the bottom of the airbox.
    10. Remove the two center fasteners securing the radiator mounting bracket/holder to the horizontal cylinder head.
    Note: The fasteners at this location are dual purpose fasteners. They secure the horizontal valve cover to the cylinder head and also provide a mounting location for the radiator mounting bracket/holder. Upon removal of the center fasteners holding the radiator mounting bracket/holder to the cylinder head, if the portion of the fastener which secures the valve cover should also loosen, it will be necessary to remove the fasteners, clean the threads, reapply Loctite 243 (or equivalent), reinstall, and re-torque the fasteners to 10 Nm, approximately 88.5 inch pounds, before reinstalling the radiator mounting bracket/holder.
    Remove the rear air extractor fastener at the oil pan.

11. Release the drip tube coming from the airbox at the air extractor.

12. Pull the radiator mounting bracket/holder away from the horizontal cylinder head mounting location/support. The radiator mounting bracket/support will sag.

Note: In this state, the position of the radiator mounting bracket/holder can be manipulated as required to facilitate the removal of additional fasteners in the steps which follow.

13. Loosen and remove the two fasteners located at the bottom of the upper radiator which hold the upper radiator to the radiator mounting bracket/holder. Push the radiator mounting bracket/holder forward to access and remove the fastener on the left-hand side of the vehicle.

14. Loosen and remove the single fastener holding the air extractor to the radiator mounting bracket/holder at the bottom of the lower radiator.

15. Loosen and remove the two upper fasteners holding the air extractor to the radiator mounting bracket/holder. Push the radiator mounting bracket/holder forward to access and remove the fastener on the left-hand side of the vehicle.

16. Remove the air extractor and allow it to rest on the shop floor beneath the vehicle. The electrical connection to the fan remains intact.

17. Separate the lower radiator from the radiator mounting bracket. Note: Offer the lower radiator a small amount of support. An elastic cord inserted through the upper mounting tabs on the lower radiator will be sufficient,

18. Separate the lower tabs on the upper radiator from the radiator mounting bracket.

19. Push the radiator mounting bracket/holder upward to release the radiator mounting bracket/holder from the tabs on the top of the upper radiator.

20. Lower the radiator mounting bracket/holder until the bottom of the radiator mounting bracket/holder touches the shop floor.

21. Turn the handlebar of the vehicle slightly to the left. Remove the radiator mounting bracket/holder from the right-hand side of the vehicle. Begin by moving the bottom of the radiator mounting bracket/holder slightly outward. Simultaneously rotate the radiator mounting bracket/holder approximately 90 degrees counterclockwise until the unit clears the fork tubes. Stand/store the radiator mounting bracket upright to prevent coolant loss.

22. Reach between the upper radiator and the horizontal valve cover and snip the two tie wraps which hold the spark plug lead to the bracket at the top of the horizontal cylinder head.

23. [I][B]Hold the upper radiator away from the horizontal cylinder head and remove the high voltage boot from the spark plug.

24. [I][B]Position the upper radiator so that the top is in contact with the underside of the airbox and the bottom is nearly in contact with the horizontal cylinder head. In this position, the horizontal spark plug becomes accessible.

25. [I][B]Loosen and remove the spark plug from the horizontal cylinder head.[/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I]

Note: If a small nylon chemistry brush is available, turn it in, and then back out of the cylinder head to ensure that the cylinder head threads are clean.

26. Check the gaps on the new spark plug. The spark plug has two side electrodes. Verify that the gap between each side electrode and the center electrode measures 0.8 (+/-) 0.1 mm.

27. Install the new spark plug finger-tight into the horizontal cylinder head. Using a torque wrench, further tighten the plug to 12 Nm, approximately 106 inch pounds. Do not discard the old spark plug. Identify it as having come from the horizontal cylinder head and set it aside.

28. Hold the upper radiator away from the horizontal cylinder head and reinstall the high voltage boot seating it fully on the new spark plug.

29. Reach between the upper radiator and the horizontal valve cover and replace the two tie wraps which hold the spark plug lead to the bracket at the top of the horizontal cylinder head.

30. Reinstall the radiator mounting bracket/holder. Hold the leading edges of the radiator mounting bracket/holder low and perpendicular to the vehicle. Guide the radiator mounting bracket between the radiators and fork tubes while simultaneously rotating the radiator mounting bracket/holder approximately 90 degrees clockwise bringing it into a fully upright position.

31. Push the radiator mounting bracket/holder upward and position the radiator mounting bracket/holder onto the two tabs located on the top of the upper radiator.

Note: If the rubber bushings push out of the radiator mounting bracket/holder during reassembly, lower the radiator mounting bracket/holder back to the shop floor, reseat the rubber bushings, and reinstall the radiator mounting bracket/holder.

32. Position the bottom of the upper radiator on the radiator mounting bracket/holder tabs. Reinstall and tighten the two retaining fasteners. Push the radiator mounting bracket/holder forward to access and install the fastener on the left-hand side of the vehicle.

33. Position the lower radiator on the radiator mounting bracket/holder.

34. Position the air extractor behind the lower radiator. Install and tighten the upper two fasteners. Push the radiator mounting bracket/holder forward to access and install the fastener on the left-hand side of the vehicle.

35. Reinstall and tighten the single fastener at the bottom of the air extractor.

36. Position the radiator mounting bracket/holder onto the horizontal cylinder head mounting pins. Install the two fasteners loosely.

37. Reinstall and tighten the rear air extractor fastener at the oil pan.

38. [I][B][I][B][I][B]Reinstall and fully tighten the upper two fasteners which secure the radiator mounting bracket/holder to the bottom of the airbox.

39. [I][B]Fully tighten the two fasteners (previously installed) which hold the radiator mounting bracket/holder to the horizontal valve cover.

40. [I][B]Reinstall the fuse/battery cover.

42. [I][B]Reinstall the two quick release fasteners which hold the radiator mounting bracket/holder to the mudflap.

43. [I][B]Remove the small hose which was removed from the radiator filler neck from the clips next to the coolant expansion reservoir.

44. [I][B]Reinstall the coolant overflow hose into the clips next to the coolant expansion reservoir.

45. [I][B]Reinstall the small hose which leads to the coolant expansion reservoir back onto the radiator filler neck nipple and reinstall the hose clip. Reinstall the hose into the clips next to the coolant expansion reservoir.

46. [I][B]Reinstall the coolant overflow hose coming from the coolant expansion reservoir and the fuel vent/drip hose coming from the fuel tank into the nipples on the air extractor.

47. [I][B]Reinstall the fuel vent/drip hose coming from the fuel tank into the clips on the radiator mounting bracket/holder.

48. [I][B]Reinstall the coolant overflow hose under the air extractor clip.[/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I][/B][/I]

• Like Like x 1
  17. that looks long winded.. 5 bolts push forward, job done... similar process when fitting /removing a front exhaust manifold.

18. Ok. I rounded one of those cheap shit Ducati supplied heads already. Can’t go further now. Gonna put back together and hope it will fire up with 1new plug and other one will hopefully clear itself. If not I am in the world of pain

Do Not Sell My Personal Information