1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diavel Loss Of Rear Brake Due To Excess Pedal Travel

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Android853sp, Jun 9, 2020.

1. The last few outings, Carole has complained that with her small feet, she can't move her foot enough to get any back brake. I took a look at it a couple of weeks ago and realised that there was a lot of movement in the brake linkage before the push rod actually engaged with the master cylinder. Fast forward to today and with a complete set of new bits, I set about sorting the problem. So after 8 years and nearly 30,000 miles, this was the problem.
    20200609_142157.jpg 20200609_142215.jpg
    And whilst I was there, fitted a nice, shiny Termignoni I managed to acquire at a knock down price.
    20200609_141740.jpg 20200609_141749.jpg
    Andy

#1 Android853sp, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. The hinge pin? How did that cause the excessive travel? Is there not an adjuster nut/bolt on the Diavel? Just trying to understand so as to further my knowledge.

3. The master cylinder actuator rod has a fork end that goes over the back of the brake pedal and it is all held together with a pivot pin that has a clip to retain it. Over time the pin has worn where it passes through the brake pedal and the hole in the pedal has worn oval. That gives you about 3mm of slop in the joint which translates to about 30mm of movement at the pedal before the actuator rod presses the master cylinder. Time, use and road crap acting like grinding paste. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Wow :astonished: that little bit of slack, which I hadn’t even clocked until you pointed it out, was the cause of the excessive travel. Useful, thanks Andy:upyeah:

5. The brake on mine never worked correctly, even with a bleed and better fluid.
    Great looking bike Andy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information