1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Lost Red Key

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by SteveE, Oct 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Does anyone know how difficult / expensive it is to replace the red emergency key that came with a 1200 DVT MTS? Can’t find the bu**er anywhere!

2. Is that the spare without the transponder?

If so, don’t go to your dealer. There’s a key cutting outfit on eBay that will make you a spare for about 12 Quid. All you do is send a photo of your key and they make a replacement from that. Think they are east London but could be wrong.

And it works.

• Like Like x 1
  3. This could be a shocker of a cost.
    The spare does have a transponder. I got one cut on eBay for £10.

4. Red key has a transponder.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Given that my bike has keyless ignition do I need the transponder? It’s got a PIN code for keyless switch on without the transponder

6. You could just use the PIN code all the time I suppose but then you can't use your steering lock (well my steering lock doesn't work without a transponder key). But using PIN all the time would be s bit of a pain wouldn't it?

7. Have you lost both keys?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Do you have the code card? If so it may be possible to create a transponder to fit a key with the correct code.

9. And if you have (lost both keys) then I suppose there's some danger of losing the whole bike if someone finds your keys ...?

10. I’ve got the main remote key. It’s the backup red key I’ve lost.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It’s a 2017 PP and don’t think you get a code card now do you?

12. In that case you're looking at a whole new lockset and dash.
    Just make sure that you're sitting down when you get the quote. :upyeah:

13. Surely a 'red key' which is just a passive transponder key can be programmed from the active key?

14. The Red key isn't as "sacred" as it was on the 749/999 era bikes. A new one is £47. It'll need cutting to match your active key. It's a straightforward re programming of the keys into the bike at your dealers. Takes 15 minutes.

• Useful Useful x 3
  15. Just got this from my dealer ....

We have the red keys (passive with transponder) in stock for your bike at £45.68 inc VAT, which then need to be coded on our Diagnostic system( approx. £28) and then cut to fit by a locksmith.

We need to have as many keys as you have all here to code the new key for you.

If you need one please let me know

• Like Like x 4
  16. Phew! Not as expensive as the older Red Keys then!

• Like Like x 1
  17. For reliable information always try your dealer first.

18. Not quite, always try Nelly first :):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information