1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud Rattle After Low Speed Low Side 696, 2010

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Simba, Jul 6, 2019.

1. My son in law, low sided his 696 on the left hand side, light damage, bent levers, bar ends small crack the tank cover. When started it there was quite a rattle that seems to come from the left hand side, it was only about half a mile from so he rode it home with no issues, throttle response seems normal. I’m guessing the bang on the ground has dislodge something but obviously I have no idea if this is true at this moment in time. Anyone had anything similar?
    I will have another look tomorrow when it’s light and update with any new info.

2. If from the front of the bike I'd check the mudguard is attached correctly, if from the back, check the exhaust and heat plate mounted on it

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Looked at it again yesterday and the noise is coming from the the engine, it's a loud metallic medium frequency thing, pulling the clutch in makes little difference, definitely seems like the hard fall on the left hand side has dislodged or broken something.
    The engine starts and runs as normal, it's going on as an insurance claim and I'll update this when I get any updates.

4. Oil starvation when on its side
    Main bearing fkd

5. Oh dear, it is a possibility, I'll ask my son in law of he stopped the engine when he went down. Have you experience this yourself?

6. Another possibility is the alternator case has had a whack and has distorted enough for the stator to be touching the rotor

• Like Like x 1
  7. Is the gear lever bent?

8. Yes, as is the connector rod.

9. It went off to the insurance assessor and they've written the bike off, and that's as much as I know right now. I'll hopefully update this thread when and if I get to see the report.

10. The noise could be the gear selector control arm out of position rattling against the flywheel/damaged or broken selector return spring. Does it still shift up and down without the engine running? if not that is a strong possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  11. He rode it home with no issues...

12. That's true, hopefully the case and boss for the selector pin are not damaged.

13. Well, the insurance company Bike Sure, didn’t pass the report on, so I have no details of why it was written off, but they did pay up in full and with no haggle or pain. Thanks for all the replies ✋

Do Not Sell My Personal Information