1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lowering the 2013 Hypermotard SP

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by davestephens, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Newbe here, I desperately want an SP but im 5 foot 7 inches on a good day! I have asked my local (ish) dealer and they are looking into it. I read somewhere that the Japs have a lower version and i know there is a lower seat option but i recon i have to loose 75mm :eek: Is this a posibility or should i stop dreaming.

Dave

2. I'm 6'2'' so havent really looked into it but on my evo sp it looks like there is an adjustable link to crank the suspension down - not sure if its on the stock bike but you could certainly fit it so worth investigating. I have the racing seat fitted as it has grips on it and looks pretty but you'd need more than this for sure as on some slopes I'm only just tall enough to get my feet down as I'd like.

3. I found the Hype seat crazy high, if Im not mistaken it was the same height as my 2013 Multistrada

4. its 890mm!! you have to be a giant to ride it! LOL

5. There's a lower seat available -20mm. The SP is the highest of the three new hyper's though. Maybe consider the "normal" hyper and with the -20mm seat it'll be 850 if memory serves me right??

6. thanks for the replies guys, the dealer (laguna) showed me 2 lower seats, one for touring and one that was just lower (dont know the diference) but i really want the SP as the wheels\tyres are much better as is the carbon bits etc. if it can be lowered enough i will get one but i dont think i will want the standard one, dont know why, just dont float my boat. if it can be done retro (even if dealer not happy to do it) i will get it done. I was hoping an independant would pop up and say we can do this that and other and it will be 820mm
    Laguna is looking into it for me

Dave

Dave

7. Fit a decent seat guy who can cut the foam down and recover it for you, not sure what that'll lose but should help :upyeah:

8. I an 5'5" with only 27 leg on a 2012 evo & fine, just measured seat at 850 with std suspension settings, based on that you may not need to loose as much as 75mm.

9. Im 5'6" and have no issues with a KTM supermoto I had and I have since ridden Hypermotards without problems . Only bike I would struggle with is a Multi

10. the new Hypers are much higher than the old. Laguna have tried but its just not going to happen.
    by the way Mr C the Multi is only 850mm where as the Hyper SP is 890mm so if you struggle on a multi an SP will be out of reach (pun intended)

So now i have got to look at the standard one with lower seat which comes in at 870mm as standard minus the 20mm lower seat brings it into Multi territory at 850mm which is still to high, but if i can lower the bike a bit i think im in. there just doing me a quote for the standard bike, lower seat SP Tyres and all the carbon bits

Cheers

Dave

11. I am not sure how the standard new Hyper compares to the 2007 - 2001 1100S, but I am 5'4" tall with 29" inside leg and I managed to lower my 1100S quite easily by scooping out the seat and using the lowering link (standard on the S)
    Good luck. The Hypermotard is a fantastic bike and great fun to ride.

12. Went back to Lagunas today to have a sit on the standard one but the only one they had was in the workshop :( so I went from there to the local Ducati dealer (Highside at Romford) which is not far from me but I had not gone there as I was told there tiny and Lagunas had te stock. Well Highside had both there to try and also had a lower seat in stock! They were very helpfull and I tried both bikes and there was not a lot in it So they fitted the lower seat to the SP and I bought that one! Pick it up Tuesday (just got to remember to slide off onside of the seat at traffic lights now!!)

Thanks for your advice

Ps look out for me, il be the midget on the SP lol!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Hope Laguna see this...decent customer service = sale. Bingo

14. Nice one! After a couple of weeks you will be well used to it:)

15. Is there a cost to the change of seat height?

16. High bike is only a problem getting on and off and in traffic, rest of the time its planning and use of kerbs :upyeah:

17. The seat was about £200 but they threw that in (they stil gave me the original seat) but the lower seat looks much better as the standard one is just plain black, but the lowered one is black with red stitching
    i went there today to give them my insurance cert. so they can tax it for me to collect tomorrow, and I had a sit on it, with it as I am going to collect it and I am quite happy. I can just put both tip toes on the ground but one foot on peg and arse slightly over I'm on the ball of one foot which should be fine as long as I stay on flat ground!

18. Dave

where did you get that done mate? I just picked mine up from Manchester ducati and even though I mentioned the seat being tall I had no such response!!!

i picked mine up today and yep it's a little more than tippy toes with a slight movement of arse to one side...I guess with lowered seat it would be even more comfortable...not composing though as it did not take long to get used to it.

brilliant bike, totally different experience for me as I have only ever ridden sports bikes, but I am truly hooked already...with just 65 miles on the clock LOL.....

i hope to get a bit more done tomorrow, I really didn't want to get off her...stunning...

the tall riding position affords a great view of what's ahead. Gear changes are very smooth as is the engine, as for handling I can't reall say too much as I haven't scrubbed the tyres in and as it is fresh from the dealer and needs first service I took it easy during my 30 odd mile ride home. But. My. I my immediate feeling is that once tyres are scrubbed in she will be a huge dollops of fun on the twisty Cheshire roads.....the riding modes are easy enough to navigate. Dash is clear, easy to read but no gear indicator...the mirrors do actually work I found that adjusting me slightly was no problem..better than the 996 I have!

grin factor? Even with limited time on her do far I have to say I was grinning like the proverbial cat from cheshire. Lots of admiring glances from car drivers and a few double takes from bikes travelling the opposite way.

am I happy to have chopped a gsxr 750 in? You bet I am, no complaints about the 750, a fantastic bike but the hyper is an altogether different beast.i still have a 996 for those days I dream of being foggy....

the hyper? well i strongly recommend one for lots of shits and giggles.....oh almost forgot...I like the sound from the standard pipes, pretty good. I would like to hear what a termi would be like before spending..

#18 thespionkop, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  19. image.jpg image.jpg Sorry dave, paid more attention to your thread...think I will mention that to Manchester on Friday as its in getting the bike trac fitted...see what they have to say...no doubt waste my breath..
    pics taken in show room, will hopefully take a few tomorrow with the 996 and post them...that's when I can get off the hyper....

image.jpg

image.jpg

#19 thespionkop, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  20. That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Pick mine up in the morning, can't wait. I've only been riding 6 months but have a ZX6r, Fazer 800, BMW F800ST and a honda CRF 250, fell in love with the CRF 250 which is why I went for the hyper (I have the bug!)

The seat is a ducati option and they raised the forks up a bit and relieved a bit of pre-load out of the rear spring

Dave

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information