1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Lumpy Old B*ggers

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Firebladeboy, Jul 25, 2022.

1. So as we all know, the early 1200 Multis could be lumpy old b*ggers
    But the payback was more punchy acceleration.
    But what puzzles me is WHEN they’re lumpy! Mine is randomly quite smooth and then a lumpy, choppy ****er, seemingly completely dependent on how it wakes up in the morning!
    Case in point, just had it serviced rode home 60 miles. Dead smooth. Next day, fire it up, start tour…lumpy as ****! Bike gets warm riding around in city traffic, smooth…back to normal temp on motorway…lumpy. Put in premium fuel…smooth..restart bike after ferry crossing…lumpy as ****!!!

Has anyone found any rhyme or reason for this behaviour??

2. Dunno, my bike occasionally has periods where the revs will be slow to reduce on a closed throttle. I couldn't figure out a pattern and if I turn it off and on again it often goes away.

I do wonder if it's some kind of sensor input when turning on that affects the fueling but 3 different dealers never found a problem or were able to consistently replicate.

If you haven't bypassed the exhaust valve it might be worth listening to see if the exhaust valve is always cycling on startup.

3. Hi there, this seems to becoming a more consistent problem as these bikes age, we have fitted loads exhaust eliminators over the last few years and have recently had a few with lambda issues and started fitting eliminators for them too as the cost of replacement is too high for most owners, might be worth looking at those too. If you haven't already got an exhaust servo eliminator that would be the first thing I would do, money well spent to get rid of something that was only fitted to cheat noise regs anyway!!! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. I have had mine from new and it’s ten years old now. It has always displayed this characteristic. At the moment it is running better than ever at 27,000 miles. I love it

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yup! Mine too. Yeah, funnily enough, mine WAS running very well before the service with 45K on it. And immediately after the service...then the next day this was very noticeable. Still fast AF on an open throttle but it's half-throttle or steady throttle where it's noticeable. Today was 50/50. Half absolutely fine, half lumpy (though nothing like as bad as last night) Feels like a slight misfire at it's worst....‍

6. Yeah, I can hear the exhaust valve working OK. Also it generally produces an error code when it's not...

7. Have the ECU flashed on a dyno by a reputable tuner. Smoothes it out no end and even low rpm around town is good, added bonus of a few extra horses if you've decatted and have a better system/filter fitted.

8. Or get a Rexxer tune, no need for a decat, bypasses lamba and makes it so smooth at very low rpm. You keep the lovely characteristic but a more manageable throttle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Interesting. I've always shied away from this as wanted to receive Ducati updates to the software as they were released. I guess we're way past that point now though with 2010 bike. Which ECU map do you recommend for the flash?

10. If you take the bike to a tuner they will flash the ECU with a bespoke map whilst running the bike on a dyno. Generic maps aren't ideal as every bike/engine is slightly different, depending on exhaust/intake configuration. You want the best fuelling etc. for your engine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. You do have a point, my local dealership are very reluctant to connect mine to their computer to reset anything just in case they wipe the map. That said for a 2013 bike they haven't mentioned any useful software updates in a while. When my dash kicks over to 99k I will have to take the risk and get it connected for whatever resets they can do.
    Worst case it get's a new tune done.

12. I put crap fuel in my V4 the other day, and it ran like shit, juddering and vibrating. Three or four tanks of super unleaded later and all is well again.

13. That many! Wow, that's interesting. I'll definitely stick to super for the next several tanks to see if it improves!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information