1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M.o.t Failure

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Cupid Stunt, Aug 28, 2017.

1. I have just been told that if my bike has a pillion seat fitted but no pillion pegs fitted it may fail the MOT as being unsafe.
    When I said that's bollox this was their reply
    "Been featuring across the country a lot recently. I was advised of this when one got pulled up by vosa on an inspection."
    Below is what the govt website says, it does not make any distinction, it just says that seats must be fitted securely and says the same about pegs but does not state that if one is fitted without the other is a failure.

1. Introduction
    The MOT tests some important items on your motorcycle to check that they meet the legal standards.

It isn’t the same as having your vehicle serviced and doesn’t check its general mechanical condition.

The test doesn’t cover the condition of the:

• engine
    • clutch
    • gearbox
    You can read a quick guide about getting an MOT for more information about how the test works.

2. Motorcycle parts tested in the MOT
    These are some of the important parts of your motorcycle that will be checked in the MOT.

[​IMG]
    Parts checked in the MOT
    2.1 Lights
    These will be inspected to check:

• their condition
    • that they work properly
    • that they’re secure
    • that the headlamp(s) are the correct colour
    • the rear lights, indicators and reflectors
    The headlamp(s) will also be checked to see if the aim is correct.

2.2 Steering and suspension

• their condition
    • that forks, handlebars, grips mountings, head bearings, swinging arm, shock absorbers and damping effect etc are secure and work properly
    2.3 Wheels and tyres

• their condition
    • that they’re secure
    • the size and type
    • correct fitment
    • the tread depth
    • the valve condition
    2.4 Frame
    This will be inspected to check:

• that it’s free from cracks
    • for damage
    • for distortion
    • for corrosion which is likely to affect the steering or braking
    2.5 Braking

• the condition
    • the operation and performance (the efficiency test)
    • the brake controls
    2.6 Exhaust system

• it’s secure and complete
    • it’s not too noisy
    2.7 Fuel system

• for leaks
    • the security of its components
    2.8 Seats

• for the presence of a rider’s seat
    • that any seat is attached securely
    2.9 Wheel alignment
    These will be inspected to check for the correct alignment of front and rear wheels.

2.10 Sidecars (when fitted)

• for secure attachment
    • alignment
    • the suspension
    • the wheel bearings
    • wheel alignment
    • the lights and tyres
    2.11 Horn

• that it works properly
    • it’s suitable for the vehicle
    2.12 Registration plates, vehicle identification and frame numbers
    These will be inspected to check that they’re present and legible.

2.13 Drive chain and sprocket

• that the chain isn’t too loose, tight or worn
    • that the sprockets aren’t too worn
    • that the chain guard is secure
    2.14 Throttle
    This will be inspected to check that it works properly.

2.15 Clutch lever
    This will be inspected to check that it isn’t so bent, damaged or shortened that it can’t easily be used.

2.16 Footrests
    These will be inspected to check that they’re present and fitted securely.

2. He's right though, seat without pegs is a fail. Bolt your pegs back on or fit a solo seat and you're golden.

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. 2.16 does say exactly that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. The same dealer that told me the above sold me a bike with pillion seat but did not have the rear pegs how can they then bloody fail it.

5. No it just says that they will be checked to see if present and fitted correctly, it does not say if it has a pillion seat the pillion pegs have to be fitted. It is not made clear.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. If present is pre
    If present is pretty clear?

Cause they are twats?

#6 Exige, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Exactly if foot pegs are present they must be fitted securely if they are not present whats the problem.

8. Just remove the seat before its tested.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Yep, just take the rear seat off at the MOT station if you don't have a seat cowl for it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. When I had a 748 BP, the MOT station requested I re-fit the missing rear pegs - they did give me the MOT but I had to re-fit them to get an MOT the following year

11. 'Present and secure' you are changing the words?

12. I took the rear pegs from my Streetfighter S from day one. It's never been an issue as I have the seat cowl fitted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The official guidance to testers is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../611017/mot-inspection-manual-classes-1-2.pdf
    1. from the MoT manual, section 6.2: "Pillion foot rests are not required on motor bicycles that only have a single seat." Implication: bikes that have seating for more than one must have footrests for each passenger's place.
    2. however, section 6.2 goes on to say: "In addition some motor bicycles used on or after 14 June 1993, which are intended to carry a passenger may not be fitted with footrests but with hand holds attached to the motor bicycles frame adjacent to, or part of the seat. Refer to manufacturers information e.g. owners handbook." I have no idea what machines this might be referring to, but I find the implications alarming -- more info welcome
    3. I'm not convinced that having a removable cowl in place over the pillion seat would be enough to get through without footrests, especially if it was secured by some quick-release system rather than by screws or other fasteners requiring tools and/or the pillion seat is part of a dual seat rather than being a separate pad (so e.g. Pantah owners could get caught out).
    4. There's also the opposite situation: where there are more than one pair of footrests, but only a seat for the rider. The reasons for rejection given in 6.2 include "1.a.(i) A missing riders seat or any seat insecure" (emphasis added), so I'm inclined to think that any attempt to fail a bike on the grounds that it has pillion footrests but no corresponding seat would be overturned on appeal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I see it this way.....
    If you have a pillion seat chances are it could be used so you would need pegs hence MOT failure for not having them

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Came into force around a year ago. Some testers may let it go, but it is part of the test and a fail if the pegs are missing.

• Useful Useful x 2
  16. My MOT tester would not pass my SS if it had the pillion seat + cowl fitted, without footrests.

His view was the cowl could be easily removed and a passenger carried without footrests, thus making it unsafe.

I had the bike for eight years approx and took it to him every year.

His view was always the same from the first test he gave it; but it always passed because I fitted footrests - but he knew I would remove the footrests as soon as I got home.

17. Cowls over the top of rear seats may be another issue, as the passenger seat is still fitted to the bike.

With my Streetfighter, the rear seat is not on the bike, so I don't see how the stated law above "Pillion foot rests are not required on motor bicycles that only have a single seat." can be interpreted to fail the MOT on this point. Again, I've never had any issues.

Say someone has a 1098S and fits a 1098R subframe and seat unit which never had the provision for rear foot rests and a passenger seat. Would the bike fail an MOT? I think not.

It seems to me that it all depends if there is anywhere to stick a passengers backside on the bike in question (covered or not). If there is, then you need to have somewhere to stick their feet.

#17 Robarano, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. I have replaced my pillion pad with a cowl and removed the pegs with no issues.
    As said, a cowl over the seat leaves the seat there and available to be used in moments, so needs the pegs to be fitted accordingly

19. I recon they'd pass an RSV4 with pillion seat and no pegs. Even with the pillion seat on there's nowhere for the to sit :joy:.

As others have said, it's all down to the tester. My uncles Triumph has no rear pegs but it does have a cowl over the rear seat (rear seat still clearly visible underneath). No issues whatsoever. I don't think this need be an MOT issue. At the end of the day, it's a legal requirement to have them if carrying a pillion. I'd say let them all pass and let the law deal with it if people are caught. It's a 4 bolt changeover that you'd do before carrying a passenger. No different to a child seat, and they don't fail you for having a child at home but no child seat fit.

• Like Like x 1
  20. None of my bikes have MOTs, not a requirement for French registration.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information