1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M1100s Suspension Setting - Guideline For Info

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by West Cork Paul, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Someone suggested in another thread in this section we should share our suspension settings to help others so as a guide for anyone else, and we're all different, the following are where I've ended up with mine since I started playing around with them and understanding a little more about it all.

I weigh 100Kg minimum with my gear on, TBH probably nearer 105Kg.
    The bike is an 09 1100S with Ohlins front and rear.

FRONT
    Preload - 6 turns in (full preload is 15.5 turns)
    Rebound - 9 clicks in (36 clicks is full adjustment)
    Compression - 9 clicks in (29 clicks is full adjustment)

REAR
    Preload - 6 threads are visible, this equates to c.13.5mm of thread visible
    Rebound - 15 clicks out

NB the spring on the rear is rated 1092-49/130 so is good for 742Lbs (330Kg), it's a fairly hefty spring and I have no idea if that is standard on the bike or the previous owner had it changed. However, this might explain why I have relatively little preload on the rear and certainly less than suggested by Ducati in the handbook.

Also, bear in mind the roads around here are a bit bumpy - it's a very rural area, so my settings my be on the soft side for some.

In arriving at the above settings I've aimed for 12-15mm of static sag and c.35mm of total sag front and rear ie with me on the bike.

Another point to note is that when I got the bike (back in Feb of this year) I just assumed the suspension was still on factory settings and just rode it. Uh Uh, absolutely not. The previous owner had obviously been fiddling around with it. The rear had it's preload completely maxed out so there was no static sag at all and in fact it would have been nigh on impossible to add any further preload! Additionally the rear rebound was either fully out or fully in, I can't remember which now.

On the front the forks weren't even set up the same. The Left had 11.5 out of 15 turns of preload set whilst the right had 2 out of 15 and compression and rebound were all over the place. If you haven't checked yours and have just assumed, like me, it's worth checking the front forks at least have the same settings left and right.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information