1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M796 Tickover And Revs All Over The Place: Ghost In The Ecu?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Zhed46, Jul 13, 2019.

1. So....

Shortly after I got my 2014 M796 ABS about 6 months ago it began effing me around when starting. The dash would light up but hitting the starter button just resulted in nada so I took it back to the dealer who diagnosed a faulty side stand cut out switch and replaced it FOC in or around April.

Fast forward to recently and it has started to do it again, but today the bike was doing all sorts of weird and not so wonderful stuff.

• Wouldn't start.
    • Then it would start.
    • Then it cut out but would start again.
    • Then it wouldn't start and was to all intents and purposes "dead" (though the headlight was on and the battery had plenty of oomph), so I stuck a booster pack on the starter motor and that seemed to shock it into life.
    • Then after stopping to get my tyre fixed (nail stuck in it) it wouldn't start again.
    • Then it started but it was ticking over at approx 3,500 revs and when riding if I pulled the clutch in it was revving up and down similar to that way bikes do when racers keep tweaking the throttle to keep a 2 stroke engine from stalling on the grid or in the pits.
    I got it on video while riding (phone mount), which I will post in a mo...

EDIT: No video (sorry) as I get a "File too Large" error message.

Any ideas (either the bike problem or how to get the video on here)?

Thanks.

#1 Zhed46, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. Problem (probably) solved. Posting this so that if others encounter the same problem they have a head start.

It seems that a temperature sensor has gone doo lally, so the bike can’t work out if it’s in Siberia or the Sahara and therefore doesn’t know how much fuel it needs.

The marvellous Mr Petty will be fitting a new one next week.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information