1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Machine Mart Blast Cabinet

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Robarano, Oct 6, 2019.

1. One of these keeps catching my eye and as I have an old scooter to restore over winter, I wonder if they are any good. :thinkingface: Does anybody have one?

Screenshot 2019-10-06 at 11.27.26.png

2. This guy has had one for a while (various uploads), looks like there are a few shortcomings.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Cool, I can post you some stuff to do o_O:upyeah:

4. The cabinet is fine, it's only a metal box at the end of the day. The interior light is a bit feeble and could do with uprating to something a lot brighter which shouldn't be too difficult otherwise use it in a darkened room so you can see what you're doing.
    The main thing is to get a large enough compressor - these things use compressed air at an obscene rate. Not enough volume and pressure will drastically reduce the cleaning/blasting ability. Also make sure you use the correct type of blast media for the job that you are trying to do. Last thing is to replace the ceramic nozzle in the gun when they start to wear as this also has an effect on efficiency.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. I was going to ask you to post one of those 999R thingys to me, to practice on, as it happens. :thinkingface:

I can't promise that you'll not get it back like this though. :no_mouth:

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. The light issue should be able to be resolved by finding an led version of the same bulb

• Like Like x 1
  7. 30 years ago - I bought one for work... from MM... issue back then was the suction would not suck up the beads...

Basically the cone at the bottom was not sharp enough to allow beads to drop - so concequently - the beads used to not reach the suction port in sufficent supply

I cut the bottom out and re-welded it in after some modification.. but probably an easier mod would have been to add a vibrator to the hopper to agitate the bead..

But as I said that was 30 years ago... maybe they redesigned them...

Used to use a plastic bead - as we were stripping paint off aluminium painted solenoid valves used on hydraulics and landing systems on planes and boats.

Maybe heavier grit also would have not had this issue.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Has anyone used the crushed walnut shells or baking soda?

9. I've got these in my basket. :thinkingface:

Screenshot 2019-10-06 at 20.22.40.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information