1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making the Change........1198 to 1199.....

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Ch@rlie, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Hi Guys, I am after the views of anyone that has upgraded to an 1199. I have had my 1198 for 3 years now and fancy a change, I absolutely love my bike but keep looking and hankering after a new 1199. I am fortunate enough to be in a position to trade mine in and change for a new one.........should I??

2. Its a no brainer, if you don't you will regret it. I thought long and hard on this from January till April, and don't regret getting
    the 1199s at all. Just cannot fault it, so easy to ride in the real world.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You`ll love the Panigale when you get your head around revving a twin hard.
    Just try one and you`ll be hooked :upyeah:

4. Ask me again next week when I get mine !

5. I went through this when I changed my 1098 after 3 years of ownership. My head kept saying, do you really need a Panigale the 1098 is fine?, Is the Panigale any better than a 1098?, can I justify it? but my heart kept pushing me to change.

comparing the two is a bit like meeting the girl of your dreams, she's gorgeous, she turns heads, men drool, you're the envy of all your friends, but she's a bit foul mouthed and has strops at times and every now and then she'll show you up in public but you're smitten with her so you let it pass. But one day you meet her sister who is equally as gorgeous but she's polite, laid back and easy going without the jagged edges and you can't get her out of your head because she makes you question what you thought was perfect.

If you're in a position to do it, then do it you'll not regret it (buy a Pani that is, not run off with your wife's sister!) I did and I love it!

6. you cant wack a few bad manners
    perfect becomes boring lol :)

using the sister analogy
    I'll try and tame the dirty misbehaving one anyday :D

#6 Phill, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  7. Ah, the real world :rolleyes:

8. Thanks for your words of wisdom guys it is much appreciated. Big M very good description I have to say and had my other half in stitches... Well I had a test ride today with the new sprocket upgrade and I was blown away exactly what has been said very similar midrange to the 1198 but in loads better in all other areas. So it had to be done I put a deposit on a new one there and then. I am now just looking through the accessories catalogue and deciding on what bits I need to add..... any recommendations beyond screen, seat and tail tidy??

9. Carbon wheels....

10. how long have you got :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. after riding the 848 corse evo se from Snells last week, I would save the money and buy the 848, I've always been for the bigger the better, had V8 Discovery's, AC Shnitzer BMW's, etc, but riding the 848 has really changed my mind, the handling was superb, and the balance to power was perfect, admittedly I haven't ridden a 1199, but don't think anything would be gained over the 848, especially on road use

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nice one! with the sprocket upgrade what was it like down the bottom end in comparison to the 1198 i.e in traffic speed? was it stuttery like the old bike? I miss the midrange grunt but don't want that bone shaking back nor the sporadic brown trouser power surges when accelerating out of a corner!. :eek:

13. I can't comment on the 1198 but I rode a Panigale 'S' the other week, it's massively fast and very surprisingly for me, just didn't work unless I was revving it, which I was very scared to do as it then just wanted to lift the front wheel!

I then rode the 848 Evo and tbh prefered the ergo's compared, also felt like I could use more of the power on the 848, although it's still a big jump on my Daytona 675 which feels very flat in the upper range compared!

Which one did you go for? standard?

14. Another ex 1198s owner, I'm interested in this.

Why is the Panagale such a race failure? In WSBK Checa describes it as illogical, Alstare a previous championship winning team have made no progress and in BSB a good result is beating Jenny Tinmouth. It's the first Ducati sportsbike not to achieve race and or championship success straght out the box. Hardly see any on trackdays either. Why?

15. Thats the funny thing about the 1199. You'd think it would be an out of control looney machine with 195bhp, which if take it up into the high revs it is but lower down the revs it's surprisingly civilised. I haven't ridden an 848 but had a 1098 and you can flick the 1199 about and accelerate hard out of corners without scaring yourself to death which is something that was hard to achieve on a 1098 on the road.

16. You've not been looking abroard then, where its beatng all comers and staying at the top?

Checa and his team talk about restrcition, which is not there in sstk, and Palmer is hardly doing a bad job on the Rapido bike in SStK in UK. Mateo is running mid pack, first year, and again he team are hampered more by the rules it seems than the jap equiv. consider too that the likes of Pal Bird M'sport and Samsung have big teams with lots of practice, testing and support. Rapido have a couple of guys, the bloke who owns it and his Mrs who makes the dinner ;)

17. I think your not as out of control as you think because it has nowhere near the claimed HP.
    Every dyno ive seen for a stocker is on the right side of 160ish horse.
    trustworthy magazine review shootouts with the other top bikes.

before i get shot down - just stating what ive seen

#17 Phill, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  18. agree phil theres no way mines got 195 ive had an s1000rr which felt much quicker and my mates got a r1 big bang and its probably on par with that ,

19. Ok, I think I can explain some of the results on track.
    In superstock the 1199R (and the BMW HP4) run with their full electronics (as per the homologated bike) this gives them clear advantages over the comparatively dumb JILF’s and as you rightly say, they’re getting results here and in Europe. As this is a ‘road’ bike these are probably the results most of interest to us.

The superbike faces bigger challenges. In BSB all bikes must use the the standard Motec ECU which provides rev limit and a few limited functions. The Ducati is a ‘digital’ bike with it’s electronics heavily integrated into the architecture of the bike, the Motec ECU just isn’t clever enough to cope. BSB might have to bend some rules to help Ducati here, Yamaha are already allowed an ‘illegal’ oversized airbox and Honda allowed to run their air bleed system which isn’t homologated either.

In WSBK it’s a different problem, teams may run whatever electronics they wish. Aprilia/Kawasaki/BMW are running ‘mature’ bikes, Ducati have much catching up to do. The air restrictors which Ducati were forced to run earlier this season as a handicap for last years success have now been removed.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information