1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Marchesini Magnesium Wheels - Advice

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Expat Jack, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Hi,
    Calling all Marchesini wheel knowledge experts.
    Can you identify the wheel in this picture? Racing Magnesium or 'Street' version? Production year span? Original colour? Value? What bike would this normally be found on?
    Thank in advance.

IMG_2949.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. IIRC offered as an option during the mid to late 90s. Could be seen on the 916 SP/SPS as well as the 955cc US 916. As it’s a small axle size, will fit 916/748/996/998. Bracing within the rear ‘spokes’ tell you it’s Road and Race. Would have been the typical Marchesini gold. The condition of the wheel is crucial as magnesium is know for oxidising if not meticulously looked after and age holds the value back. Value of rear wheel on its own, £400 to £600 range. Andy

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks Andy. Comprehensive answer. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Agree with Andy. They were available in the DP catalogues from the 748 until the 998.
    They could be bought in 5.5, 5.75 and 6” widths. About £1K for a mint ish pair.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. is it yours?

6. No. Asking for a friend. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. cool. just im taking mine down to bristol in a few weeks maybe to have em crack tested and refinished. thought i might be able to help out.

• Like Like x 3
  8. That boy's up to something:eyes:,mark my words.;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. you know that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. A Jack special.:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. No comment

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I had these on my 1995 748 in 1997.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Just reviving this thread as I’ve received a message from the man from Marchesini.
    The ribbing inside the spokes is nothing to do with racing or road versions. The wheels without ribs are just an older version, nothing else. As of a certain year, Roberto Marchesini changed all the rear wheels to ribbed ones as he saw two wheels crack from the ‘lower’ race teams who couldn’t afford to change the wheels so often. Since changing to to the ribbed ones, he hadn’t heard of any cracking under normal conditions.
    Useless info for some but thought I’d share.

• Like Like x 10
    • Useful Useful x 6
  14. Adds to the collective’s database of useful stuff. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. I should add the wheels were (are) on a 916 SPS that I was potentially looking at.

• Like Like x 1
  16. @Expat Jack or whoever owns the pictured wheel should clean their bloody chain.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ....bit of a thread resurrection/hijack....

I went to 2019 B’ham show and saw one of Foggy’s race bikes looking amazing. It was the final impetus I needed to bite the bullet and buy my 996 SPS in Jan 20 (pics in separate thread).

I was torn with the purchase, I love the early 916 aesthetic with classic decals, gold frame etc but prefer the rideability of the later bikes. In the end, availability made the decision for me and I got my 996 and have been very pleased

Then earlier this year I got hold of a pair of narrow axle Marchesini mags, see attached pics. According to useful posts above, these are the later type which suit my 2000 996.

Before fitting, they’re booked into Bristol for stripping, crack-testing etc. Obviously gold is a classic colour but I really fancy the black look, a bit like the B’bam show bike. Anyone have a view on the best finish to go for ? Options are Gloss, semi-gloss or satin. Be great if anyone has some experience ?

thanks Rich

upload_2021-3-8_13-28-11.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-8_13-29-21.jpeg

upload_2021-3-8_13-28-50.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  18. upload_2021-3-8_13-31-31.jpeg upload_2021-3-8_13-31-48.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  19. Gold Satin..... though if its an option I'd pick Gold Matt. Not sure what they use to "coat" a proper Magnesium wheel? is it paint or powdercoat? if the latter my experience is Satin powdercoat looks too glossy and Matt is just about there

20. Theyre the street ones. They have internal ribs. The race ones do not. I have a set of the race ones on mine. I sent mine to marvic for an x-ray and coating and they did a terrific job. Stay well clear of salted roads. I had mine done in black. Those look very nice indeed.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information