1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mattress Buying Time

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by noobie, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Guessing most of our ages are around the same, some will know the crinkly old man movement in the morning due to needing a new mattress.

looking at them, there seems to be more foam than a beard shaving shop. There seems to be a move to foam combo ones and as a result the conventional ones have upped their game too but it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Have you bought a mattress of late and if so what did you find were your needs and which ones did you end up buying and why.

I'm expecting no more than £500

2. I'd go and try them in the shop. :zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz: Everyone's different. :thinkingface:

3. But a 30 second bounce/lay in the shop ain’t gonna help you

4. I find that I know within seconds if a matress is comfortable or not. :thinkingface: I suppose longer term back problems could take a while to manifest though. Still, surely a 30 bounce in the shop and talking to the staff has to be a good start.

5. This is true, but enough about my sex life

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. It has to be reasonably firm being 6ft 3 and 21 stone. I've used the all the comparison sites and it gets to a point so many recommend different ones even though they are reviewing it seems the same 10-20

7. Chunky Monkey, ain't ya! :)

8. I am not going to win any svelte awards, no.:D

• Like Like x 1
  9. As you know I have Myeloma it’s eaten my bones and they can be quite painful
    I have just bought a memory foam mattress topper for my mattress as it’s a orthopaedic mattress and a bit hard now for me and I refuse to buy another mattress as it’s still as good as new
    I paid £100 from Dunelm it took a couple of nights to get used to it and it’s given my bones the rest they need :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 2
  10. I bought a Dormeo memory foam. Didn't have to send back under their 60 day scheme. They take a while to regain their shape from being vacuum packed. Bought a medium and I think it is firm.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. try the simba, eve et al.. they deliver and take away if you dont like it and you pay nothing. not tried them but my friend who knows the founder of simba has one and he likes it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. At your age, make sure it’s water proof

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. Be prepared to spend more than £500. You spend a 3rd of your life in bed, may as well be comfortable. Worth a visit to a John Lewis I think as they have a good range and helpful staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I've just bought a new mattress, it's the same type they use at Premier Inn hotels. It's called "Hypnos pillow top" and will cost about £750 for a King size, best money I've spent in ages.

Just done a quick search and the matress is actually £525 delivered, wish I checked that before ordering from the local bed shop.

http://www.premierinnbed.co.uk/

#15 Bananaman, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Or wait a month or so and buy one from House of Fraser who will have a Sports Direct range with low paid staff and a free mug?

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. We looked at a Hypnos after staying in a premier Inn. They seem to have more on offer these days as it was going to cost a fortune when looked 8 years ago, it was all real wool topped and goose feathers held in seal pup scrotums or whatever- bit more reasonable now: https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/sleep/buy-our-bed.html

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I saw a few of these and also noticed they were selling king sized "rejuventated" at £350. Looking further what tends to happen is those that offer a trial period, sometimes get the mattress returned so the company replaces the inner and outer covers then sell them for a discount

I thought on this and two points came to mind

(1) I have been in plenty of peoples beds that are not mine with no worries from hotels,motels, holidays villa's, acquaintences, friends and ladies who like disappointing sex so why should I worry?
    (2) one of those returns might have come from one of you lot and bugger if I'm sleeping in another forum members gravy

18. Tempur Cloud, feckin awesome :upyeah:

19. yeah also £2,400 and upwards. shit, I wanna sleep in it not make love to it and marry it :D

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information