1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxton Fork Cartridges In 750ss ?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by CAT3, Jun 27, 2020.

1. During the lock-down I like a lot of you I guess, have been doing odd jobs that I never got round to or kept putting off !!
    After years of putting up with the harsh ride my 750SS non-adjustable forks provide I was wondering what others have done in an attempt to alleviate the harsh ride of the standard forks.
    Although I've had my 750 from new, (it's a '94 model), the only thing I've changed other than the usual oil, filters, belts, etc, has been the rear shocker & that was only because the original dumped a load of oil out on the garge floor some years ago.
    I fitted a unit made by Saxon, (who used to do frame kits for the early Hinckley Triumphs) which he modified for me to fit my 750. The reason for this choice was purely due to the fact that a mate had it available at the time & it was far cheaper than the Ohlins or Maxton choice at the time.
    In fairness it was far better in feel than I remember the original unit was, even when it was new & even Maxton said it was a good unit in terms of performance when my mate first got the Saxon kit.

Anyway, recently after visiting Maxton again with said mate who is getting them to make some units for his Vyrus, I got to thinking about fitting their fork cartridge units in my 750's forks.
    I'm just at the very beginnings of this process so haven't looked at costs, which actual cartridges to use as they do two or three different types, or anything else really.

Has anybody done anything similar other than replace the forks for say the 900SS, which are adjustable ?

2. Ive got a Maxton shock on my 900SS, I also looked at changing the front end for Ohlins. But after speaking to Maxton, I got their cartridge/spring kit as they told me the Showa forks are pretty good. Cost a bit of money but I couldn't be happier with the difference. Set up for fast road and my weight. Great kit and very helpful company.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Desmoquattro, which cartridges did you go with, the SD20, SD25 GP20 or GP30 ?
    I'm guessing the SD versions will be more than adequate for me, on the road.

4. I dont know if I even got a choice? I can look at my invoice, it was a while ago....

5. Ive had a look and theres no indication what I got. At no point did they ask me, so maybe it wasnt an option back then in 2015

6. I cant see the SD on their website. I think it was GP20

7. Just re-checked the Maxton site & all four options are available in either "ROAD" or "RACE" menus.

8. Mmm, not sure then. As I say, I told them my weight and riding style on the SS and they set it up for me. Its firm but once you get moving it all fits into place. For me, the best handling bike I've owned. Can use all the back tyre with confidence in corners.

9. Well, finally started the ball rolling & sent my forks into Maxton today for a bit of bling.
    Here's the "before",
    DSCN3631.JPG
    The "during",
    DSC_0692.jpg
    Just some dummies I machined out of a piece of delrin to hold the handlebars in place & keep the master cylinders upright.
    The "after" will follow in a few weeks, can't wait !:yum

• Like Like x 1
  10. I got my non-adjustable Marzocchis working pretty well.....I used Agip SAE 7.5 oil in them.

However, it still didn't improve them as fully adjustable 900 ss forks which I eventually fitted.

Probably down to the fact that the non-adjustable Marzocchis compression damp on one leg and rebound damp on the other.

Let's hope the Maxton cartridges correct that idea.

11. The Maxton cartridges have got to be better than the standard, non-adjustable Marzocchi stiff things fitted to my 750SS. I have put up with them for years, since buying the bike new in fact !!
    The Maxtons will have adjustable pre-load on both legs, adjustable compression damping in one leg & adjustable re-bound damping in the other leg, plus the fork tops will look great in the standard anodised colours of Maxton, black & purple !:joy:

Just realised/remembered my forks are Showa units not Marzocchi, even so they were way too hard !

#11 CAT3, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bling has arrived so I've got a little job sorted for tomorrow now !;)
    DSCN3908.JPG
    DSCN3910.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  13. They look lovely...Nice bit of bling there...:cool:

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost?

14. From a fellow Maxton customer, I think you will be very happy

15. Well, they're fitted now & the sag is set. Just need some warmer weather to go out & try them out & make any adjustments. Maxton also supply a special 3/8" drive socket to suit the spring pre-load adjusters on each leg.
    DSCN3917.JPG
    Interestingly each leg has a different oil in it. Maxton also supply all the base settings they have set my forks to, so when I go out to play I know where I'm starting from.
    DSCN3912.JPG
    DSCN3913.JPG
    Price was £1027 including the dreaded VAT.

16. So it looks like Maxton have compression damping on one leg and rebound on the other, Marzzochi were way ahead.:)

17. Look awesome, be interested to hear feedback

18. Thanks for the info...that's a big investment, but I'm sure you'll feel the benefits over the standard 750SS forks.

I've had K-Tech springs and valves put into the forks on two of my bikes, but not touched the 900SS yet.

It has had Hyper-Pro springs added front and back by the previous owner, so has had a bit of work done to it in the past, but hopefully when life gets back to 'normal', I can get something a bit more fancy put on there :)

19. You're right about the cost, it is a lot of money & considering the bike is only worth around £2500 ish, maybe a bit more, spending another grand on it is like half it's value again, which you'd never get back if it was sold. Is it worth it, to some no it won't be, but to me it is, or will be. I'm expecting it to show up the rear shock, which is a modified unit from a mates Saxon Triumph. If I change that for a Maxton unit the suspension will be worth more than the bike !!:joy:
    In reality though, I've had the bike from new & have no intention of selling it now after 27 years, I'll be giving it to my son when I become too old and/or inferm to ride it :joy:
    I could have gone down the route of the F4 version, (mine are the F3 versions) from Maxton, which are just adjustable, (from outside) for re-bound & compression damping only. They are cheaper although you can adjust the spring pre-load, but you have to get inside the leg to do that rather than just turn the large adjuster nut that is on the top of the F3's.
    I'm sure once I get to try them out they will be far, far better than the standard forks the bike was supplied with. Just need my Renthal sprocket to turn up, which has been on order since last September/October :mad:

#19 CAT3, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Like you say, hopefully you'll never be selling it so it doesn't really matter how much it cost...done it a few times myself :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information