1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mbe For Rea

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Wassy, Nov 21, 2017.

• Like Like x 4
  1. Has foggy got one? There'll be all hell on if he hasn't :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. All this fanfare but the BBC NEVER acknowledge such talent in the run up to what is the farcical British Sports Personality Of the Year awards. I only remember Foggy being nominated but aside from a 30 second interview on the night, never got any recognition. What about Danny Kent following his Moto3 crown....nada. It' still an award system that is heavily biased towards the traditional mainstream sports such as: "Premadonna 11 a side" (sorry I meant football), rugby, cricket, athletics etc etc .....yawn yawn...y...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yes he has. MBE 1998. And very well deserved.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. It's the BBC Sports Personality otY Awards. This means participants in BBC sports, i.e. sports which the BBC broadcasts. Nothing wrong in that, as far as it goes, but this is not a universally-based national award and never has been. The BBC broadcasts a lot of Olympic sports (many of which have small followings otherwise), athletics, tennis, etc. but little motorsport nowadays.

Perhaps Sky, ITV, BT, etc should have their own awards for the sports which they broadcast respectively.

It is hardly surprising that none of these broadcasters want to give extra puffs to the sports of the other broadcasters.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Stirling Moss retired from top level racing in 1962, and got his knighthood in 2000. Jackie Stewart last raced in F1 in 1973, and was knighted in 2001.

At that rate, Mike Hailwood, Barry Sheene, and Joey Dunlop would have been just about due by now, if they were still alive. Carl Fogarty and Jonathan Rea may have to wait a few decades yet - and keep their noses clean in the meantime.

6. John McGuinness must be due something....

7. Hasn’t mcguiness had a gong?

BBC SPOTY normally goes to high profile sports people, not just sports the bbc broadcast. Hamilton will be in there again and they haven’t done that in years

8. An MBE?!!!Mind you Road to Hell was okay.

9. Clearly been a poor year for UK sports when you are nominating people most members of the general public will have never heard of. Andy

10. It will be a refreshing change if Rea wins it as opposed to previously having to watch the dull as dishwater Andy Murray droning on during his acceptance speech or potentially the self obsessed Lewis Hamilton from taking any crown. Historically though the public will undoubtedly plump for the inevitably mainstream sportsman/woman. How very predictable.

11. Er, Mo Farah's on the list too...

12. You've never heard Rea droning on then? :D

13. Think it's disgusting the lack of bike sport coverage in the UK press, UK riders completely dominate World Superbikes and MotoGP probably has the largest contingent of Brit riders for decades or more yet the all of the UK press deem non of it newsworthy, it's disgraceful IMO.

A huge opportunity completely ignored.

14. yeah, you'd have to say Cal would be the highest-achieving British rider at the moment. OTOH, I suspect they are worried about what he might say in the speech...
    SO, are we all going to vote for Rea for the greater good of promoting motorcycle racing?

15. Not in the endless monotone fashion Murray or Mansell used to speak in. God I could fall asleep before they reached the end of their first sentences.

16. They didn't even recognize Danny Kent when he became world champion. No doubt some household (I use the term loosely) name athlete, footballer, tennis player etc etc yada yada yada was given the accolades instead. Mainstream TV coverage caters to the masses and to an extent the revenues mainstream sports bring to the table. Sadly motorcycling is not in the same league financially and is still arguably a niche sport in terms of TV coverage. Saying that, BT Sport only have the contract to televise MotoGP for one more year, I believe. Just got to hope it doesn't end up on Sky under that odious creature Murdoch and his filthy pockets. "Sky believe in better"...what utter tripe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Well as you say participants in BBC broadcast sports, so surprised to see Rea on the list by your reckoning, as WSBK is on Eurosport. As I said, historically niche sports never fair well in this excuse for an unbiased event. I'll vote for Rea but the reality is the majority of viewers will be mainstream sport followers so he's little chance of being voted a winner sadly.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information