1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanical Water Pump Seal Direction

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by shaun stewart ellis, May 14, 2021.

1. Hi Everyone

Just in the process of re-building the water pump on a Ducati 748 mechanical seal.jpg and wanted to double check that i am inserting the mechanical seal in the correct direction before i fully push this home. Also i have read on afew other posts that you should put some sealant around the base, is this correct as it does not mention it in the manual.

2. This image is from the Gotham Cycles site
    8798EFCA-B03E-4CBB-A6F1-76391AFFD7A6.jpeg
    compared to yours
    BB22DAC7-09D7-4E87-8224-D341E10B9EA8.jpeg

3. I did not want to press mine home against the impellor until i am 100% of the direction. The Gptham image is equally as confusing as it looks like the spring is against the impellor which is what i thought but the actual seal is different i.e. longer spring and shorter main body. The one i got was from Ducati not a paterned part.

4. Hopefully these pictures and numbers help:

Mechanical seal 93050011A
    93050011a.jpg
    'Bush'/Seal (fits on the non impeller side)
    93050021A
    93050021a.jpg
    Spring faces the impeller.

Not sure about the sealant. Not a fan myself. When you say 'manual' is that the factory manual or Haynes?

Hope this helps and matches what you've got.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. I clicked on the line with Biposto in the title but on looking again it says 'SP, Biposto' so the numbers I've listed are probably incorrect.

Hopefully he ordered using the VIN. As long as he's got the correct parts it's the reassembly order/orientation that's critical and appears to have been the cause of the original problem.

#6 Travellingman, May 15, 2021
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
  6. Looks like there are 2 part numbers depending on year.
    93050062A
    and
    93050062B

7. Yes indeed. I got 93050062B on the second attempt and at that point sort of gave up as it was different again!

Chassis number job.. Just hope he bought the correct parts.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information