1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Metal Splitters On Rear Wheel

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Flip848, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Hi
    Anyone seen this before?
    I noticed metal splitters on my rear wheel. After checking I saw that there are three metal rings from the rubbers attached to the rear chain wheel have come out and scrape the exentric tensioner :-/
    What's the problem here? Why do they come out? To old, time to change I suppose..?
    IMG_20170624_010951.jpg IMG_20170624_011000.jpg

2. Looks like your cush drive rubbers have perished and backed out catching on your eccentric hub adjuster. A Renthal sprocket carrier will stop this happening as it has a lip on the rear to prevent them from backing out.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Yep as birdie says. Cush drive.

4. As above, a common problem and it can result in a new hub eccentric. A quick change sprocket carrier will prevent it happening again but in the mean time you will need to look at replacing the cush drive rubbers and also examining the damage to the hub. This may necessitate a new hub if it is really bad.

They show up on eBay from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. As above.Hopefully caught in time to save the hub.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Djeez I don't realy know if the damage isn't to bad.
    Don't think so...
    Here are some pics.

IMG_20170624_182456.jpg

IMG_20170624_182436.jpg

IMG_20170624_182447.jpg

IMG_20170624_182456.jpg

7. I've seen worse. It hasn't gone all the way through and milled the swing arm. There looks to be sufficient thickness remaining to allow you to adjust the eccentric.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. I'd say up to a point you got away with that in time. Not ideal if you want a pristine bike but liveable.

Good luck

9. Thanks guys ;)
    I will search for a pic from how it was on the internet and then decide what I do with it...

10. #12 Birdie, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  11. I'm sure as has been said by Ricky that yours will be OK as it looks like there's plenty of meat left for adjustment.
    Steve

12. Thx yes it will be okay but I want to have my bikes in mint condition, there is the problem ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Indeed, mine was much worse and I carried on using it for a couple of years before I got a replacement. As long as there's enough to hold it together and get the adjuster on it will be OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Could have been a lot worse. I picked up an afam sprocket carrier for a decent price 2nd hand just to avoid this.
    Also, looks like your eccentric is in the wrong position from the picture?

Ian

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yes the axle should be at the 4-5 o'clock position like this one.
    [​IMG]
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  16. If I were a betting man, I reckon it was moved to the furthest forward position to facilitate chain removal.

17. Thought about that but the hub pinch bolts still look tight.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information