1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metzeler M7 Rr Sportec

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by dukeman358, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Anyone used these on their 1299 or other bikes? I read a review and these were highly rated so I popped a set on prior to Silverstone. Had what for me was a big slide on a fast right handed. Feel a little nervous on them now. Usually run Supercorsas and have never had a problem other than when they are knackered. Thought I’d give these a go as I don’t mind riding in the rain and the supercorsas were never that good in then wet!

2. I've use M7RRs for several years on my 999S.

They are a great fast road tyre and are good in the wet, too. I'm sure others here will add their opinion soon.

3. Are you sure the pressures were ok? I would say it's highly likely that the pressures were going too high from the 1299 and the new surface at Silverstone? I ran them at 24psi hot on track.

I've raced on them early in the year when the weather was touch or go and they were great, and also had them on an S1000RR I took on a trip to Cornwall and they were also faultless in everything from hot sun to gale force winds and torrential rain (literally all on the same weekend!). They are very similar to Supercorsa (even to the point of the same mould at the factory apparently), New S1000RR come with either the Supercorsa or the M7RR depending on what is in stock. They are not quite as sticky as the Pirelli but they are noticeably better in the wet and dont have the heavy grip drop off once used up.

• Like Like x 2
  4. By the way this years Pirelli and Metzeller have changed quite noticeably from last year. The Pirelli dont seem to drop off like they used to and they last a bit longer.

5. I have M7RRs on my 1299S at the moment. I like them. Current set are just about dead now and I shall replace like with like. The rear has kept its profile really well. The front shoulders are worn. These have done a trip to the Ring including two days on a hot track plus loads of road riding here in UK.
    I run them at between 30 and 35 psi on the road and slightly softer on the track but depending on ambient temperatures.
    I recently tried a set of Conti Sport Attack III on my S1000R. They are pretty good too!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I was using M7RRs and never had any complaints with them but I've switched to Conti Sport Attack 3s after trying the Road attacks on my adventure bike and now i'm converted. Dry grip is as good as the Metzelers, if anything they last a little longer and the feedback is better. Standout feature is feel and outright grip from the front tyre. Never had a front tyre that feels so secure and transmits so much information.

The front doesn't turn in quite as quickly as the M7s but its so planted through the turn that it scarcely matters.
    Really like the fact that you don't need to scrub them in. They genuinely come ready scrubbed and there's none of that wooden skatey feeling when you're rubbing out the last of the chicken strips. You can ride to the edge of the tyre straight away. Warm-up is quick too, on a par with the M7RRs.

• Like Like x 2
  7. When I bought my 1100 Multistrada it came with a set of these if I remember correctly, bloody awful on that! Perhaps not best suited to the bike but I never had any confidence in them.... so I trade it for a 1200R Monster, much better, super Corsas rock!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hey David, I think you are correct. I usually run about 30 front and 27/28 rear with supercorsas and with continental on my 899. It was the first comment that Wilf from MR said on the day. No obvious tyre wear or hot or cold tear. It was warm that day but nothing particularly hot but as you say new surface etc adds up. The Donington day was much hotter but bike broke so I won’t know. The tyre guy recommended slightly lower Temperature but also said to take check them when hot which I never have! He reckoned that was the best way.

I won’t ditch them until I get another outing on them which should be at Donny again if the bike is fixed.

Thanks

Kim

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information