1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Road Pilot 4 Or Rp4 Gt

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by SteveE, Aug 19, 2017.

1. I've had MRP4 GT on my previous Bike i.e. RT1200 and loved them (after having a K1600 with Metzlers and I really hated those). I've come back to the Multi and don't really like the uncertain feel of the Scorpions and, since I just got a slow puncture, have probably decided to use the excuse to go back to the Michelins. Given the lower weight on the Multi compared to the RT1200, would anyone recommend the RP4 GT's for the Multi DVT or are the RP4's only sensible way to go? Thanks for all sensible answers in advance :)

#1 SteveE, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  3. Like you I have RP4GT on my R1200RT. I've just put them (GT) on the Multi after the original Scorpions gave out at 4.5k miles.

I chose the GT over the standard RP4 as I thought I may get a few more miles out of them . 1,500 miles later and the wear is negligible compared to the Scorpions and I now have for better traction in the wet.

4. Standard PR4 on my multi, 2nd set

5. Metzeler Z8s on mine. Far more sporting profile to them.

6. I think it was Z8.s I had on my K1600 and they were very unpredictable but also a very different bike....I guess

7. Does anyone know the weights that Michelin recommend moving from standsrd RP4 to GT's?

8. I've just looked and Michelin do a Road Pilot 4 Trail that are '100% for road use'. Now I'm totally confused which ones to go for!

9. Horses for courses I guess. I didn't really like the PR4s as I feel the front and rear have mismatched profiles and they wear in a strange manner.

10. eh-up, if you dont go off road and want the michelins don't put trails on, in my feedback they deliver approx 20% less mileage, if you continually luggaged or 2 up then go for Pr4 GT's, if you don't the standards, the difference is structure, the carcase moves around to create heat, with a light bike gt's don't keep heat the best, although you bikes not light its by no means heavy,
    if your looking for a great road tyre then the best feedback ive seem to have is on multi's come from Pirelli Angel GT's, grip to the edge, seen consistent +5k mileage, wet grip superb.... worth considering but as always tyre talk is the best way to start a pub fight!!!!

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  11. eh-up, if you dont go off road and want the michelins don't put trails on, in my feedback they deliver approx 20% less mileage, if you continually luggaged or 2 up then go for Pr4 GT's, if you don't then standards, the difference is structure, the carcase moves around to create heat, with a light bike gt's don't keep heat the best, although you bikes not light its by no means heavy,
    if your looking for a great road tyre then the best feedback ive seem to have is on multi's come from Pirelli Angel GT's, grip to the edge, seen consistent +5k mileage, wet grip superb.... worth considering but as always tyre talk is the best way to start a pub fight!!!!

Andy

12. Great post Andy thanks

13. When you say you didn't like the PR4's did you mean the way they handled and felt too?

14. Yes. never felt comfortable on them. They seem engineered primarily for wet conditions.

I prefer a tyre that works properly in dry conditions but isn't dangerous in the wet.

PR4s were brilliant in the wet but less so in the dry. Combination of the tread pattern and the profile, IMHO.

But tyres are a very personal thing.

15. This was my experience also. I changed to Angel ST and will probably go to Angel GT next.

16. Blimey what's the difference?

17. Angel ST is Pirelli's entry level sports touring tyre, it squares of easily and has little wet whether ability compared to tyres developed 2013 onwards,
    Angel GT (gran tourismo) is developed for high mileage, high feedback feel, has a high level of silica to create and keep heat to deliver one of the best wet whether grippīng tyres up to 2016, the profile of the tyre keeps the bike feeling light in the turns which leads to a bike feeling very easy to ride,
    wet ability was surpassed by the Metzeler Z01,
    I find customer will move away from the Michelin if there was another choice, Pirelli GT riders get the same tyres fitted again, riders moving to Metzeler Z01 feel another large improvement over the Michelin by way of a lighter feel and better dry weather feel/road feedback

• Like Like x 2
  18. I am assuming the GT will be more resistant to centre wear. Riding a bike like the Multistrada on the roads there are few opportunities to use the power through the bends and using the power whilst upright creates wear to the centre section of the tyre, this eventually ruins the handling long before the tyre is worn out. I am happy with the ST but assume the GT will be longer lasting, I may be wrong, who knows ?

19. This is exactly why my next tyre will be the Angel GT.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information