1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Mileage - Faults 1200/1260 Enduro

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Nasher, Jun 13, 2022.

1. I mentioned in another thread that for my next project I'm going to be looking for a Multistrada Enduro.

By way of research, and so I'm informed enough to make a quick decision to secure the right project if/when one comes along, I'm looking at aspects of the 1200/1260 that I'm not familiar with.

Are there any known issues with the 1200/1260 motor at certain mileages?

For example I note that there are a few Multis for sale at @40K to 50K miles, although it doesn't appear anyone gets anywhere near that on an Enduro.
    Is there something big to watch out for at @50K miles?
    Or are they just due a complete rebuild at that mileage?

For my use the research I've done would appear to suggest that it's not going to make a real difference to me if I find a 1200 or 1260, but I'd be really interested in any known design issues with the 1200 that were fixed on the 1260.

Obviously I know a 1200 will be cheaper to source than a 1260, but I'm interested in damaged bikes to repair, so the difference will be less than for useable bikes.

Any input or thoughts gratefully received.

2. I don't think 40k or 50k is any particular problem for the DVT engine. Mine 1200 is coming up for 40k and seems very healthy. It used oil from the off, and continues to do so - some days more than others, but constant overall of maybe 1/2 ltr per 1000 miles. It's a known feature; some use oil and some just don't. The key thing is that the situation remains stable, so change in consumption will raise questions.
    As a frequent user of these pages, you will be aware that a full history with timely services is key.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I think by the time they released the Enduro version the bike was pretty well sorted.

The very early 1200’s had problems with porous cylinder heads and some with crankshaft failures.

The DVT system really helps with low rev running, not sure if this would be an issue to work on with a damaged bike.

Electronics would be the main watching points, lots of sensors to go wrong

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Thank you gents, that's good information.

I think I'm going to really struggle to find a damaged repairable Enduro, but then I thought that with my 999 and one eventually came up.
    So I'm going to probably have to look at early bikes with higher than average mileage instead.

5. As an aside, the 1st generation ECU is probably the easiest to remap. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. When was the Enduro first introduced? It wasn't first gen, and I don't think it was before 2015, so that rules out second gen (twin spark) too. If so the DVT era from 2015'ish is indeed harder to remap, but do you need to?

7. First batch 2016 enduro into uk owner. Just had my 54,000K third desmo service few months back. During winter & upto that service I had a strange oil leak, turns out rear head gasket has failed. And the cost of repair is £3k with the engine not blown up.

The design of these bikes if the engine has major fault is disassemble entire bike into chunks. My next purchase will be a bike that has a full frame & work can be done on the engine without thousands of pounds in man hours to get too the fucking issue.

On a side note ducati are kindly paying for the £200 gasket kit, which helps. I'm not bitter as I love my bike'

8. Thanks GunZenBomZ, that's an interesting one.

Sorry to hear you've had that problem.

I think the only Ducati I've owned that the rear head could be removed in situ was my 97 M900, but even then I did drop the engine as access was so bad it was easier to remove the head with it out of the frame, and easier to do a Desmo service with the head off the bike.
    Although of course all of that was an awful lot easier on a 97 2-valve air cooled bike.

To be honest the thought of dropping the engine and fixing a leaky head gasket doesn't really worry me too much, but the £3K Ducati would charge to do the work is a fantastic opportunity for somebody like me to buy a bike really cheaply that needs it doing.
    Sorry if that sounds crass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. I have a 2017 Enduro that I've had three and a half years, and done 22,000 miles on. Aside from replacing a fuel level sensor and having one of the heated grips stop working I've had zero issues with it. Oill consumption has decreased over time, to the point where I pretty much ignore it now. Ironically, I'm actually looking to change it soon, because it's out of warranty and I'm scared of something expensive happening that I won't be able to afford to fix (like a £3k oil leak).

10. Yes MotoNik, bit ironic that:)

When you decide if you are selling it let me know, just in case I'm feeling flush at the time.

11. Make me an offer ;)

12. Since new; two fuel senders (you learn to use trip-meter) & two heated grips replaced.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. I've a 2017 Enduro with 23k miles. The only mechanical failure problem I've had was a sensor failure.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Is there anyone close to me near Petersfield with a 1200 Enduro that would allow me to come and just have a sit on it?
    I've realised that although I've wanted one for years, since I had a test ride of a 1200 @5yrs ago, it's been that long since I actually sat on one.
    You never know, my rose tinted memory might change when sat on one again.

Thanks.

15. If you find yourself in Devon you’re welcome to try mine!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. I have a lot to learn, and assumed all 1200 Enduros will be DVT, because of how late they arrived in the range.
    Is that so?

Is there 3 'Gens'?
    Again being inexperienced I thought 2 x 'Gens' for the 1200, pre and post DVT.

A couple of people have sent me private messages telling me the Enduro is not what I want, basically because it doesn't fit their needs and they don't like the styling.
    It is what I want, and I like how they look, so at this moment am only considering them in the Multistrada range.

As soon as I can move my 1000SS on I'll be able to react to an Enduro that comes on the market in my price range, so am hoping to have as much info as possible to make a quick informed decision.

Thanks all.

17. Love mine, '16 Enduro, near York if you find yourself in the area.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Ironically I would absolutely love a 1000SS!!

19. P.S. yes I think all Enduros are DVT. No issues with mine apart from slightly warped front discs. Only on 12k miles, need to do the disc bobbins in case that's the issue.

Had my belts changed at 5 years as recommended in the manual.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Could be willing to explore a Part X Nik.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information