1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Mileage

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Jamie lewis, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Is 28k too many miles on a 1098s to consider it worth buying ? I know there are other factors but does that milage make it untouchable?

2. id say depends on service history to be honest, my rsv is on 29k and runs sweat as a nut

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Its all about how its been maintained and how it rides. Any excessive vibes or notify gearbox (iff its had a QS for example) just means taking a little risk but if buying for the right price could be factored in :upyeah:

IMHO safer to take a 28k non-electronic bike like this over a 28k one like a multi skyhook :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks sorry for my lack of knowledge whats a QS ?
    I heard they have dodgy main bearings?
    I wouldn't be worried about a jap inline 4 with that mileage but not too sure about italian stuff.

6. Quick shifter. They do love a main bearing, lots of big torque and vibrations. Love the torque but comes at a risk/cost. Hence maintenance is key.

7. Yes and test ride. Be very suspicious of any barriers put in your way of a good test ride. If refused then don't buy. You don't have to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Not quite. I wouldn't allow anyone to test ride mine (if I didn't know them and hadn't ridden with the) if selling private

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. That is your right... but I wouldn't buy off you!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. And I wouldn't sell to you :p ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. If priced right & with a decent maintenance history, I’d take it. Mines at 18k now & I’ve no plans to move it on

12. I guess for me it comes down to a low/average miles base model or a high mileage s
    Or a German bike lol

13. Controversial...low miles means wont be used much and more likely that type of rider will have used low revs, high engine load accelerating. Very bad for bottom end. If its made it that far its probably ok lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. I ran my K6 GSXR1000 to 21k, it was still good, but was definitely down on power. I'd be surprised if a 1098 was as strong.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Not sure I understand the point here. Any vehicle as it ages will lose some of its “new zip” but a 160bhp super bike is still going to be ‘kin rapid if it’s been well maintained. Mine certainly is. I’d be making the decision on price, condition & your likely usage of it, mileage for me would be a distant third.

• Like Like x 2
  16. You think a Ducati 1098 engine with 28k on it, is as strong as a K6 GSX-R1000 engine with 21k? I'd reckon the gearbox and crankcases would last a lot longer on the Jap bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. 21k lol that gsxr1000 was probably only just run in my freind has a gsxr600 that broke the 100k mark it did however drop a valve 2 or 3 k later
    Now it has a new engine and soldiers on.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Given the masses or torque I’d assume the same too. But, plenty of high torque bmw engines motor on ( :D ) for 6 figures

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. That’s not what I said at all.
    Maybe so, but that wasn’t the point I was making. If the 1098 is in good shape with good history & a good price, I’d not be put off at 28k. Hardly end of life mileage.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information