1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miles Or Year When Buying A Bike (diavel)?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by 749man, Oct 30, 2018.

1. All things being equal whats the consensus on 64 plate Diavel with 5500 miles and two owners against a 16 plate with 11500 and one owner?
    I'll most likely only be adding 3000 miles a year
    Assume the price as being the same
    Thx for reading :)

2. Personally the 16 plate/11500 miles wouldn’t bother/offend me. But it’s your money and therefore your choice :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. it is indeed my choice but was interested in others opinion as it feels a bit of a conundrum that i wanted to open open to the group

4. mileage doesnt bother me....my z1ooo has done 14...doesnt even need a valve check for another 10....a lad on the rsv4 forum's 2010 model has just ticked over 50k with no issues...

5. I was kinda thinking values and resale :)

6. Option B

7. Those in the not know wet themselves over anything with more than a few thousand miles. In some ways, I respect BMW more for not being so arse-faced about mileage. What happens in Bologna? They design engines made of plastic to only do 10,00 miles tops? If some newbie designs an engine properly to last 100,000, then they through him out and he gets a job with Guzzi?

I must be blessed to have high mileage Ducatis that run well. Actually, they are not high mileage at all - by car standards, they are brand new!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. To our cost, we learnt at MoT time, that the rear suspension rose joint, that’s the middle joint of the suspension plate that sits between the rear shock absorber and the fixed tie bar, is prone to collapse. When all is said and done, it’s only a Teflon lined ball joint and it’s exposed to all the shit that gets kicked up. Knowing what I now know, if I was buying another one, I’d be looking at the lower mileage one. Andy

9. Get what are saying Android but in this case the bike with more miles but newer would have seen two less winters, although both bikes don't look to have see rain
    Thx for the heads up on that part as well

10. Keep in mind the 15000 mile service can be expensive.

11. Me. I'd go with option B, one owner is better than 2. I just turned 18k on my 2011 and it still runs like a champ. Pretty sure they can run to 70K or more without issues if maintained.

12. Buy a bike to ride it and not to sell it. If you want to protect your money then put it in a bank and buy a cheap Jap bike.
    The worst place to protect your money is to put it into a motorbike and then take it out on the road and risk losing it with all the other nutters out on the roads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bearing in mind this will be my 8th Italian bike I’m pretty sure I won’t be buying Japanese. The values question was raised as was interested in others thoughts, I certainly don’t consider buying a bike as an investment I do still wish I had bought a PS classic brand new that had been sat in my local dealer for ages at £9.5k just before prices were starting to climb

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blimey that's not much of a recommendation, do you want the one that will snap in half sooner or later :worried:

15. Mileage (to me anyways) = reliability. As long as its got full service history and has been clearly looked after, then mileage is of secondary concern.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. #If you have money to burn take the 16 plate if not the other,but both will do the job nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well, different again i suppose - im happily stuck with what ive got and no plans to sell any of them. (apart from my supermoto but that was only on agreement with the other half!) :)

18. For me the 16 plate should be cheaper out of the 2 options as it is older (based on info given) - I think mileage is not really a factor in value (but that's me). Service costs may be an issue depending on whether you can do it yourself or feel bound by dealer tales of woe for not paying them (the 16 plate is probably out of warranty - again should make it cheaper). I have to keep telling my wife that a 12 year old car with 148k miles on the clock is not going to suddenly disintegrate and doesn't need changing for another 100k miles or serious tin worm issues. If you're going to ride it for pleasure and look after it for a sensible length of time the mileage issue goes away. Number of owners is not excessive and disappears after a few years also. Either the 16 plate is overpriced or the 64 plate is a bargain in my eyes. Best of luck with what you choose. :upyeah:

19. the 16 plate is around 18 months newer Harry and both will come with a 2 year warranty

Do Not Sell My Personal Information