1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Misty Front Lamps

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by duc996bp, Apr 27, 2016.

1. One more question.

Is it possible to clean the inside of the front headlamps? Mine seemed to be misted up a lot, certainly not crystal clear anymore.

2. common problem. generally you should remove the headlight unit if possible, or at least get the plastics and dash out of the way.

get the bulb out, and use a "rag-on-a-stick" method. I used a bit of isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) sprayed in first to break up and crud and grease, then got a fresh rag in there an manipulated it with a stick to wipe the inside of the glass lens. worked fine for me, just needs a bit of patience and dexterity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ok great, so they can be cleaned, a job for the weekend. Cheers

4. yep, common issue, but don't go sticking a screwdriver or anything sharp in there.

5. truth is, I didn't use this Forum's search engine ;) I have cleaned dozens of headlamps over the years, mostly Italian and warm water/mild detergent is all you ever need.

6. As others have said, but use meths - seems to work much better and lasts much longer.

7. sorry - better than what?

8. Soapy water, think I tried vinegar too.

Meths was easy to use, evaporates thus not leaving streaks and last for years. Does stink a bit mind you..

9. if you get neat meths seeping into the bonding between glass and plastic body of headlamp assy this can only be bad news in the long run and the same goes if left without totally removing from chromed plastic. I appreciate that people don't want to be bothered to go to the length of using a brush etc to scrub inner glass surface but even meths won't totally remove all traces without a bit of scrubbing. I have never been unable to remove all deposits using water and detergent and the whole procedure takes around 10 minutes at the most. Having cleaned 748/916/996 and all were mist free for years afterwards, there really is no need to use anything stronger.

#11 Chris, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  10. could've just been my bad luck. First time I cleaned the inside of the lenses, it fogged up again within weeks. I'd just used some washing up liquid and a bendy bristled brush... I wasn't best pleased. A friend with a 998 suggested I use meths, but to be careful and it's worked a treat:

First pic is from 2004, the second from 2011 and last from 2014.

IMGP2508.JPG DSC_0909.JPG IMG_4467.JPG

Last time I saw the S, they were just the same! Spotless.

I'm sure there are many ways to clean them. This just worked really well for me, so figured I share the info.

Cheers

11. glad it worked and hope your glass doesn't seperate from body as a result. They can do this all on their own without meths intervention :upyeah:

12. ahh, @Bullitt , you failed to notice that the meths has turned your fairings black! Still, got to be better than the yellow ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. haha, I know - best not tell all those that their yellow bike can be turned black with liquid!!! :tearsofjoy:

14. It's worse than that Jim, his screens completely evaporated :Wideyed: :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I think it looks fantastic in yellow!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frankly, I love the yellow. One day the carbon will be yellow too ;-)

DSC_0938.JPG IMG_4464.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. thought I would just re-iterate for all the intelligent richards out there :-

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. I had this problem on my 748, apparantly caused by the coating on the tip of the bulbs burning off over time. I removed mine from the bike, and very carefully dissassembled, and used of all things Tesco hard surface/window cleaner, a rag and a stick to gently reach inside and polish, I then blew them out with a hot air gun, left overnight to ensure fully dry, then replaced, they look brand new, and still look as good 3yrs later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information