1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile Calls Within The Eu

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bigredduke, Dec 11, 2018.

1. At the moment, if you make a call whilst in an EU country, the call counts against your normal monthly allowance & is not charged extra (providing your allowance has not been used up of course).

My wife rang her mother who lives in the Republic of Ireland (an EU country) from home and was surprised to find she had been charged £2.50 extra for this call.

I would argue that the UK is (for the moment) an EU country, so how can they possibly argue that calls from one EU country to another (when abroad) count against your normal allowance but calls from the UK to another EU country are charged extra? Seems like sharp practice to me.
    So I contacted O2.

I repeatedly asked the O2 operator how they could possibly justify this and the logic (if any) behind it. Unsurprisingly they just kept repeating it was the company policy to charge calls made in the UK to EU countries. In the end, they said they would refund the charge, probably just to get rid of me!

I think it very likely that 'phone companies will revert to the bad old days & start roaming charges again when you use your mobile in EU countries after we leave the EU.[​IMG]

2. Oh, an easy Brexit question...
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1017150/Brexit-roaming-charges-mobile-phones

3. Is it PAYG? Think only contract phones are inclusive

4. I think that the interpretation might be not quite right, an international call is still an international call. If you are on a UK plan and calling Republic of Ireland you are not being charged for "roaming" while abroad (e.g. I am in European country X, if I call a number in European country X then this is included in my plan as roaming - if I call European country Y then this is an international call), but you will still pay for international calls unless your plan explicitly includes international calling.

O2 International - International calling and travel abroad
    O2 International bundles - Monthly international calling bundles

Do you have an international bundle on your plan?

#5 Fire3500, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  5. Whilst that is true, the o/p was asking about the situation currently as he mentions his bill

6. My Provider EE includes within your plan calls from uk number to uk number regardless of where you are in the EU

Make a call to a none uk number and this becomes an international call and is charged accordingly.

Found out just like the OP did.

TB

7. Hmmm ... cheap mobile calls ... or independence from a corrupt, anti-democratic oligarchy in bed with corporatists and globalists ... can I get back to you? I need to ponder this a while.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. I am on a monthly contract. I still don't understand how O2 can justify 'free' calls (by that I mean the ones included in your monthly allowance) when roaming anywhere in the EU but charge for calls made from the UK which is in the EU to another EU country. I don't understand why these should be categorised as international calls. I do understand them charging for calls made to countries outside the EU. I expect O2 would struggle to justify this based on any kind of logic.

9. There's nothing definitive in what you say ever, so do you mean you are accepting it as gospel o_O

10. Well no... they are pretty clear in explaining their product in the links I posted. There are no "free" calls, there are calls included in a plan or rates for calls excluded from a plan.

To make it even clearer... for the hard of reading (n.b. "excluding the UK" is the clue):

Screenshot 2018-12-13 at 01.38.17.png
    Doesn't seem hard to understand...

11. I don't doubt that the terms & conditions are clear, my fault for not reading them properly.
    The point I am trying to make (apologies for banging on about it) is that if roaming calls within the EU are included in your plan, then logically calls from the UK (which is within the EU) to another EU country should be included. It is the apparent lack of logic I am questioning.

12. There were changes in june 2017 in regards to roaming. My understanding was if I, from a U.K. registered phone wanted to call another U.K. registered phone and I was in europe somewhere, then I would only be charged the minutes within my plan or at U.K. rate

I thought? roaming meant standard your own country rates when calling same country to same country phones, but anywhere in the eu

Has your mother in law in ireland, tried ringing your wife in the uk and seen a similar charge above the standard roaming rate?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information