1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Model Choice Advice

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DaveM, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Long post warning....

I’m after some advice on model choice please. I currently have a 2016 xdiavel s which I love, it it’s coming up to 3 years old and time to change. I have considered just getting another xdiavel, it’s that good, but I am using it primarily for commuting these days and could do with a bit more practicality in terms of weather protection and luggage space, plus pillion space for the odd weekend with the Mrs. But need the fun factor still.
    So, I think I’ve decided that a multi is the way forward.

First thought was I have to have the new Pikes Peak. I love the look of the PP and the new model has the 1260 engine from the XDS, so all good right? But it’s £21k!!! Also, I’ve heard that the skyhook suspension is actually a better bet if you may have luggage or pillion sometimes. But I do love the look of the PP...

So I think I have these choices..

1. New pikes peak at £21k
    2. New 1260s at £17k
    3. An older pikes peak (didn’t the 2015-2017 PP have skyhook?).
    4. An older 1200s
    5. An older PP, pre 2015. Apart from the paint job, is there any real difference between PP and 1200s from 2010 to 2015?
    6. A KTM superduke gt :)

So, let’s go. Thoughts?

2. I’m a huge Mutley fan. I commute on mine daily through a city centre then scratch around North Wales too. It’s a devastatingly effective and exciting ride.

I’m on my 2nd DVT, the first was a Base with standard suspension and the second an S with Skyhook. The standard suspension was a bit soft but generally ok. However the skyhook is ace. I have the lovely soft set up on the bumpy sections and a firmer touring set up for the faster bits.

The S also has a full colour dash, which is much nicer to look at.

I’d recommend the touring pack, heated grips, centre stand and panniers.

The DVT has bags of low down grunt with a noticeable change in cam around 6k rpm. I like this and find it exhilarating. Others prefer the smoother 1260 engine.

I advise buying the newest bike with the lowest mileage. Warranty = piece of mind.

If you ride all year use acf50 or similar to protect from road salt.

The standard tyres are ok for all year riding and the cornering abs etc gives real piece of mind.

If you can find an unregistered DVT it’s 98% of the 1260 but closer to £14k. Bargain of the century.

3. I have the 1260 PP and love it, yeah it’s not cheap I agree, but I love the look and makes me smile every time I ride it

Suspension is superb, I have had it set up for my weight, rider sag etc, and it goes round corners like it’s on rails, better than most sports bikes on our UK roads I think...

However if you do a lot of two up touring and carry lots of luggage the skyhook is also very good and comes into its own in those circumstances

I would say if it’s mainly you riding, bite the bullet and go for a PP, you obviously like a bike with bling, like the x diavel, you won’t look back

But if you intend to do lots of two up touring maybe it’s the Skyhook..?

Either bike in my option you will love and enjoy

4. For me the 1260 PP drew me in with its increased torque and quick shifter and auto blipper. I mostly ride myself so the PP is perfect for me.

5. If you like the Pikes peak paint but are happy to settle for a standard 1260 then P&H in Crawley have had a couple painted up.

6. Thanks all. I am mainly on my own, so I don’t need skyhook, but equally, I don’t need Öhlins. The quick shifter and blipper are a nice to have, but not essential either (are they an option on the 1260s?). I’m really drawn to the PP because of the looks. For me, this really sets the bike apart and makes it look special, but is a paint job worth £4K?

7. No increase in torque over the 1260s though? It’s the same engine and map for all 1260s isn’t it?

8. This is a thought, but is this the same as sticking a gti badge on your 1.3L?..

9. Whilst I get what you mean 100% there’s a huge history of decals/stickers on bikes.

Can you try a PP and an S back to back at your local dealer? You’ll quickly identify which feels right for you.

If it’s the S, but you like the looks of the PP I’d go bonkers and clone the look......

I for one like adding decals to the bike anyway. Rim stickers are a must to get the balance of the look right.

10. PP have Ohlins suspension,Marchesini forged wheels, Termi end can, various carbon and different colour scheme and seat. Well worth the extra in my opinion. The suspension and wheels alone would add up to more than £4k.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yes it's the same engine on all 1260's, also the quick shifter and auto blipper are standard on the S. Ohlins being superior to the sky hook is definitely debateable, and the Termi end can is cosmetic only, 4K extra is a joke

13. Price the Ohlins and wheels and you will find out they add up to more than £4K

14. I thought about the PP for similar reasons to you but decided on the 1260s partly due to the price of the PP and also because the 1260 has exactly the same power etc, also I wanted the skyhook, and I love the low and mid range torque. And if you really love the PP look bung some decals on it, who cares what anyone else thinks, if it makes you smile when you look at it, that's what counts. Any of the top five would be great though;)

15. It's the difference in price that counts

16. And then deduct the cost of the same kit on the S... However, I get the added value sentiment.

17. [QUOTE Ohlins being superior to the sky hook is definitely debateable, and the Termi end can is cosmetic only, 4K extra is a joke[/QUOTE]

That depends on what you are looking for from the suspension, horses for courses etc!

18. @DaveM The multi is a very wide bike for filtering through traffic, something to bear in mind if you have a lot of traffic on your commute.

19. If you're looking for a 1260 PP I just dropped into Competely Motorbikes between Cheltenham and Gloucester and they have this. I have no affiliation with them, just thought that this might be of interest for someone wanting an almost new PP for 1260S Touring money. Practically in showroom new condition and with quite a few optional extras too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I used to travel into London on mine nearly everyday without too many issues (apart from breaking hand guards)

I've had two 1200s models both painted in Pikes peak colours, not trying to 'fool' anyone I just like the graphics...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information