1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modern(ish) Triumphs

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Nasher, Apr 25, 2022.

1. I have a neighbour who's recently retired and wants to buy his first bike in many years.

He's booked himself on a couple of courses which use the centres bikes to freshen up his skills, but is also looking for his own bike.
    He's asked if I could go with him to look at a couple of bikes and test ride them for him.

In a nod to the bikes he owned years ago he's settled on a used Triumph Bonneville or Scrambler, and with @£8K to spend he's looking at bikes @2015-18.

He has a very specific requirement for the later Fuel injected models, and doesn't appear to be able to be persuaded that recent Carbs will be far easier to look after than the 60/70's ones he had before.
    And to be honest who am I to argue with him now he's made his mind up.

He is looking around and will let me know what he's decided to look at, but it's prompted me to have a quick look around myself just online for some background info.

With regard to the EFI requirement, the carbs on earlier bikes are easy to spot, but can somebody confirm both of the images below are hiding EFI induction set-ups?

Ta

trumpet 1.jpg

trumpet 2.jpg

2. Yes, they are both fuel injection. Those pics are of the 1200 "high torque" engine in the latest speed twin/120 bonnie etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks Doggy.

It would appear that Triumph went EFI @2016, but some 2017 registered bikes are still on carbs, probably old stock.
    The side image of the Induction system is a very quick and easy way to see what's what when trawling through ads.

4. Both are fuel injection, both great motors. I had a 2018 Thruxton R, and I've toured Scotland on a Thruxton 900, the 900 needed better suspension and brakes and really needed a 6th gear for cruising, the Thruxton 1200 fixed all of those requirements and was perfect, simple as

5. I had a Bonnie T100 (2015 plate I think).

Great bike, plenty quick enough (105mph I got), comfortable and good handling.

6. I have recently sawpped my ST4 for a Thruxton R. As others have stated, the fake amal monoblocs are a nice styling cover over the fuel injectors. For me it's a fabulous bike and pulls like a train in any gear from less than 2000 revs. Great handling and looks. I've yet to ride it for more than 60 miles at a stretch, but it seems as comfortable a riding position as my ST4. Above 90, the wind pressure is noticable, but I rarely do that anyway (and never on the public highway officer).

7. going on my own glowing comments I convinced myself I could justify another thruxton and taking my R1 off the road so put a deposit down on this. It’s a 2017 with 1100 miles from new.

9EB321EF-31C0-4960-BE75-670455CECA4C.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  8. They make a lovely bike these days

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information