1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modifying Carbon Radiator Surround.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Paul55, May 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. I am struggling to make a collection of side panels, cowl and radiator glass and carbon fibre fit together. The large V piece that sits around the water radiator is made from carbon and the V protrudes forwards about 5 mill too far to allow the panels to fit the two bolt holes each side of the tank.

So the question is, can I remove a strip of carbon on each side, if so, how?

Thanks in advance.

#1 Paul55, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
  2. Its possible to shape the edge line of carbon fibre with a small grinder like a dremel. You need to experiment a little with rpm as it can burn and discolour. Make sure you are PPEd to death with goggles, gloves and mask etc as the fibres are nasty and get everywhere.
    I did a bellypan a few yrs ago and did it all outside in the garden. There was a similar amount to remove as you are showing in the pic and it probably took around an hour.

3. Thank you. I will try and run it at Doni on Tuesday without the V piece then get tooled up as you suggest.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Im with 990Glen, get every PPE product going, suit, strong gloves (god its sharp when it splinters), goggles (not safety specs), and a mask with a filter (microscopic shards into lungs). Carbon Fibre is very, very nasty stuff when its not being handled correctly. Please look after yourself Paul55.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. ^ As above. I've modded/trimmed a few parts. You need all PPE.

6. Thank you for this valuable advice, mostly for the warnings about the need for PPE when dealing with CF.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information