1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster 1100evo Or 821

Discussion in 'Monster' started by JUN, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Hey guys, was considering getting a naked bike for around town uses every day to work.
    Tried a streetfighter 848 in the past for similar idea but didn't get on with it due to snatchy throttle and wasn't not good to ride if it was wet.

What are your thoughts and experiences with these

2. I had an 1100 monster for a few years, not the evo so I cant say how much difference there would be . I loved the engine but I wouldnt want one for use around town as definitely not a smooth soothing engine, lumpy and grumpy would be a better description , certainly at lowish reves. I have also ridden an 821 but only for about 20 miles so not a definitive comparison , it did seem considerably smoother though and for your proposed use it is the one I would get.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey thanks!
    That's exactly what I needed to know about the 1100, as I didn't know too much about them and only watched a couple reviews online but no one rode them daily to give feed backs.

4. I've got an Evo and previously had a 696 - for everyday use I'd choose the 696 every time, great little bike, light, adequate power, handles well, only drawback is the cheap non adjustable forks. I suggest you try one and I'm sure you'll enjoy it even if it is a girls bike!;)

The Evo is excellent once set up to reduce the snatching at lower revs but still not a commuter in my view.

Haven't tried an 821 yet.

#4 Rman, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  5. Agree with @Rman about the 696. The Mrs currently has one and that is very smooth, likewise the 796. I`ve actually gone from the 1100 monster back to the 1000s2r which has most of the torque of the 1100 but is noticeably smoother. Probably the most fun bike I`ve ever owned, not the fastest or best at anything in particular other than making me smile.

6. I've got a hyper 821, it is very smooth n easy to ride but packs plenty of punch to still make it lively n exciting. It's economical too. I think servicing should be cheaper on the 821 belts etc with it being a newer engine.

7. Electric scooter?

8. 1100 evo every time
    at least 25kg lighter and loads more grunt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. On my 1100 evo sp this morning for the work run....i think snatchy throttles are a thing of the past with dyno work....i can crawl through traffic at 5 - 15mpg with no problems without going up and down between 1 &2 and dipping the clutch (pre dyno work)

10. is that a HyperRetard ? :)

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  11. Yarp! (my statement was based more on the motor than the bike though)!

12. I was pulling your leg ;)

13. Ah - totally over my head....! although im not a fan on the front of the monster id like to have a pop on one providing i dont write it off...

14. I decided not to opt for the 1100 due to the advice of using it in city riding.
    Aiming for for the 821, but hear the 1200 is a better option than the 1100

15. With the 1200, remember its an SBK 150BHP engine. Same as in the Diavel/ Multistrada (2010 - 2014) and then Monster. I'd opt for the 821 if its a commuter bike you're looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  16. How is the 821 on performance, as I was looking at the yamaha xsr900 at one point.
    It's good to have a everyday bike, but would still like the performance, miss the panigale 899

17. I have a lovely low mile 821 stripe for sale if you are on the look out??

18. I'b be interested to know this too, may consider one as my commuter.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ah I just saw this message, just brought a stripe on Tuesday

20. Shame mines a beauty

It's on the for sale thread if anyone else is interested??

Termi exhaust and Ducati remap included.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information