1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster 1100evo - Poor Idle Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by HYPERBIMDUKE, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Bike won't idle. Been standing 2 weeks since running ok. Took for a blast no change.
    Question, can the tps (I have a spare) be swapped over without a dealer visit?
    Bike had new stepper, air temp sensor. 6K MILES only. Rexxar map termis no lambdas or exhaust valve.

2. I would suspect the ICV. Some have had success by flushing the ICV out with carb cleaner as they can become bunged up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. What is the icv?

4. Idle Control Valve (stepper motor)

5. Ah, Idle control valve

6. New icv 1000 miles ago. I'll look at this again then.

7. My hyper evo is running perfectly, I may take the stepper off that to try.
    The monster has never ran well to be honest compared to my Hyper which is cjs mapped & silky smooth in comparison.
    The monster is very rough. May consider custom map once the idle is sorted.

8. Stepper (icv) removed & cleaned, looked ok. Tip, remove backwards and out the left side just in front of rear pot, getting it out the front required the motor removing from the housing first... read pita.
    Swapped tps over, will fire up tomorrow eve to see if any better. If not then tank, airbox off & swap throttle body... Hope no need, monster is real tightly packaged & hard to work on compared to my Hyper.

• Like Like x 1
  9. as said, could well be ICV related, worth checking hoses to same are fitted ok/intact and might even be worth unplugging/plugging connector in again as conductivity in these connectors can be at fault particularly if getting plastered with road grime/water due to being a "naked".

10. I plugged Icv pipes with fingers and sucked/blower, all airtight. What I did notice when I plugged icu & switched igntn on, in but not fixed in place is the valve was slightly open, in other words blowing down the large inlet pipe air passed through to the outlet pipes. Guessing without the motor running it does nothing & stays in its last position, which in this case was cold starting, which didn't idle & died before I worked on it.

#10 HYPERBIMDUKE, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  11. Fiered it up, no better...
    However found a split vac hose to the front manifold, so think this would cause the problems described. Have spare new ones so will fit tomorrow.. fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Question about ICV stepper, does it control idle when the engine is at operating temp? Or all idle scenarios?

13. From what I have read the ICV operates when bike is stationary.

14. Oh, that doesn't explain why the revs hang whilst on the move sometimes.

15. No, but the split hose could if it causes a weak mixture, which I suppose with some revs on and a closed throttle could do.

16. Evo stepper type as piccie below.
    Sourced a used stepper, fitted it & tested briefly with bike up on Skylift & seemed ok, in other words started straight away & revs around 1800 (cold engine), blipped throttle the revs seemed to settle to a normal cold idle speed, at this point I thought sorted...
    Refitted front wheel, mudguard, oil cooler, horn, reg/rect , oil cooler shroud.

Started the bike, revs hung around 2000 then dropped to 1250 after a minute, as soon as throttle is touched then revs hag at 2000. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I have allreadty tried a different TPS, next I will swap stepper from my hyper evo, then I'll swap the pressure sensor.
    Failing that I'll have to go to a dealer to get plugged in.

upload_2019-6-25_13-17-18.png

17. I can sympathise and i'm not sure what I would try next in lieu of using testing equipment apart from resorting to drastic measures like ECU/loom replacement. You are happy that both butterflys are synched and fully closing obviously. You may have mentioned temp sensor in this thread? I don't know how they misbehave or whether this is relelvant to your problem. upload_2019-6-25_13-51-11.jpeg

I hope someone on here can shed some more light. Although not identical symptoms I chased similar running mysteries on a 2004 1000DS but luckily had a spare bike to swap/compare with. It finally took a loom swap to remove the last gremlin which displayed 'stepper motor grounded' or similar via warning light. I hope you find yours soon and look forward to learning what is happening.

There are many threads on this on various Forums (you may have done this already) e.g. :-

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-monster/358482-m1100-evo-high-idle-redux.html

(I put "1100 Monster erratic idle" in Google search to obtain above and many more options)

#17 Chris, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  18. Hi Chris

Yeah I had put a new air temp sensor a year ago, the air screws if I remember are nearly all the way in, Neil at Cornerspeed screwed these in after a Rexxar map upload. Ill re check them.
    I'm trying all I can before I remove the tank/airbox for obvoious reasons.

I also blocked the air feed to the stepper & fired it up, (needed small amount of throttle), ran perfectly except wouldn't idle, as expected, no hanging revs though.
    So based on this I know there are no manifold/vac pipe leaks & the stepper is the issue.

#18 HYPERBIMDUKE, Jun 25, 2019
  19. ah, ok, then a bit of progress then maybe.

a solution in one of the threads was a throttle-body swap apparently but i'm surprised that that could be the culprit as fairly easy to inspect for function/maladjustment. A hanging throttle mystery does seem more common on your model than I realised.

20. Throttle body swap is last resort, so this is what I plan to do. (BTW no errors or light displaying)

• Close air bleeds & see if this helps.. already virtually closed
    • Swap stepper with my good hyper one
    • Swap pressure sensor with my good hyper one
    • Block air supply to stepper, set butterfly stop screw to get an idle, not sure how cold starting will be? This may upset TPS reset at ignition on?
    • If all above fail, swap throttle body with my good hyper one
    • if the body swap doesn't work go to dealer or sell bike as faulty...

#20 HYPERBIMDUKE, Jun 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information