1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster 1200r Conrod

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Adey Watkins, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Hi all I have a 2017 Monster 1200R 1999 miles first service done at 620 miles at Ducati dealer
    Bike broke down at speed 70mph in 3rd gear felt like it jumped out of gear and l
    Then had no power from battery just a click.
    Dealer said it was sprag clutch so fitted a new unit to no avail.
    Dealer says it's now possible con rod
    Would appreciate any info or experience as needless to say I'm gutted after buying a brand new bike....

2. You have given them a chance to fix it. Now return it, get your money back and walk away..

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I had my sprag clutch went on my 2016 R after 1600 miles !!

What makes them think it was that and then a con rod - makes no sense.
    Perhaps you need to give us some more details ?

4. Not sure why the diagnosis has changed I guess they changed the sprag clutch and it hasn't solved the problem so they now think it's engine related... I'll update post with more info as I get it...

5. I wish I could feel I don't want the bike back now if it's a major engine fail after just 2k

6. If its the started clutch that is shit and they should guarantee that they have taken any metal out of the sump and oilways.

If it is a conrod that is a bloody disaster and I cannot see how they could mend it and get all the swarf out without a complete rebuild. But you may be able to get Ducati to replace the bike as it is not the kind of publicity that Ducati / VAG needs

7. Thanks for the info I'm absolutely gutted, I should know more on Tuesday hopefully so I will post it up...

8. If the bike broke down at speed and it really WAS the sprag clutch, it must have completely disintegrated to stop the engine.
    This would have likely been extremely obvious when the new one was fitted by the "dealer".

Sounds like they may not have a clue. Give it back, get a new one.

9. Service manager said he was told it just wouldn't start and that it was not running when it broke down... I specifically told them it when bang at 60 mph 3rd gear... That was August 8th and here we are 4 weeks later non the wiser... Im thinking about opening a dispute with the finance company with reference to not fit for purpose but I've been told the best you can expect in the event of winning the claim is book price for the bike and not full invoice...

10. WtF have they been doing for 4 weeks? ask them what they have done so far.

They wont treat it as a guarantee issue until they establish that the problem was not caused by misuse - thats just how it is.

But you need to get the company to estimate when they can tell you what the problems is - soon! and hold them to that complain to Ducati if they breach that timescale
    When they have identified the problem get them to tell you when it will be fixed and complaint to ducati if they breach that timescale

11. I was of the understanding that the bike is technically owned by the finance co and not yourself until fully paid, so definitely get them involved to fight your cause with Ducati. I hope i am right, good luck mate.

What is it with Ducati sprags, i have had two go now!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. What @Pavey said. If the bike is on finance, you can tell them you wish to enact the 'unsatisfactory goods' clause. They will get an independent engineer to look at the bike (paid for by them) and they will unwind the agreement for you including the return of any deposit paid and including a little sugar on top for the inconvenience and loss of use for the time it's been broken.

I did this and it worked a treat. Took about 2 weeks all in.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information