1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 S Monster 1200s 2017 Model Review

Discussion in 'Monster' started by El Toro, Feb 9, 2017.

1. This review was posted by a friend of mine on Facebook and I thought it was worthy of sharing on the forum. Hopefully he will join the forum shortly and also contribute to it:

================================================================

Being a Ducati Monster 1200S owner I wondered what all the hype was about with the new 2017 model, could it be so much different? I took one for a test ride courtesy of Ducati Manchester and here are my findings.

[​IMG]

At first glance you notice subtle differences like the exhaust, headlight and rear sub frame, delve further and there is a lot more going on.

As I climbed aboard the bike it felt slightly taller (this could be due to increased ground clearance) the seat is sleeker and looks similar to the ’R’ version as is the sub frame. Gone are the awful one piece castings that joined the rider and passenger foot pegs.
    The tank looks slimmer and I love the clip on the front of the tank (a hark back to the older Monsters)
    [​IMG]

Turn the ignition key and you are greeted with a new colour TFT instrument display similar to the Panigale, a big improvement as it now has a fuel gauge and a gear position indicator!
    There are still three modes Urban, Touring and Sport but now with the addition of Wheelie Control and Cornering ABS.

[​IMG]

Reaching for the starter button I then realise that all the handlebar controls have been updated and are easier to use especially the menu buttons.
    You have the option of using day time running lights (LED) from the new style headlight.
    The front indicators are now LED and are attached to the upper fork legs, not mounted to the headlight as is the 2014 model.

[​IMG]

To enable me to get a good comparison I used familiar roads that I would use on a regular basis, albeit the conditions were not great, damp with dirt and mud on the country roads.

My first impression is the riding position feels more sportier.
    The throttle response is excellent, very linear without being snatchy even at low revs.
    There is the addition of a quick shifter which works up and down the box,
    (Unfortunately its full potential was not realised due to limiting the revs while running in [​IMG]:) )

[​IMG]

The handling is spot on and seems to turn in a bit quicker.
    You can read the TFT screen even in bright sunshine (problem on the old model)
    Brembo brakes stop on a sixpence.
    Styling of the rear end is better.
    Mirrors are better.

[​IMG]

Ducati have produced a very good motorcycle in the new Monster 1200S
    Anyone thinking of buying a Monster 1200S should at least consider the 2017 model.

My thanks to Martin at Ducati Manchester for the loan of the bike.

#Ducatisti #DucatiManchester #DucatiMonster #DucatiOwnersClub #Monster

#1 El Toro, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I also own a 2014 Monster 1200s, which I'm looking to trade in. I went for a demo last week on both the new (2017) Monster 1200S, and the Monster 1200R.

Firstly, I should say that I love my bike - I love the motor on it, and the way it looks (gold ohlins!), but when I bought it 3 years ago, the 1200R didn't exist as an option. Having ridden the two of them back to back, I can tell you that all of the seemingly small changes made to the R add up to a bike that is in a completely different class in terms of handling. I came away from riding the R in a euphoric, buzzing state - and felt something like a 'meh' having ridden the new S, despite all of its new gizmos. The R felt absolutely planted in the bends, and was much quicker to flick back and forth. Unlike both my current S and the new one, there was no wallowing or rocking/unsettling of the suspension when braking/accelerating/riding over potholes.

Needless to say I'm now gonna buy the R. What it lacks in gadgetry (quick shift, corner ABS etc), it more than makes up for in handling - definitely worth the extra money (and worth a test ride if you're looking at the S) in my view!

• Like Like x 3
  3. I agree the R is a diferent bike from the new S. The Ohlins on the R is sublime and although I've set mine to the sports settings it still glides over bumps in the road. It is also noticeably faster. The only thing I would really like from the S is the wheelie control as you have to be on your toes at all times as the front comes up with the tiniest provocation. Can't say I'm bothered about the lack of a quickshifter, I've got one on my GS and it's good but doesn't really make all that much difference to rider enjoyment to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information