1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster 695 Vs. Duke390

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Necreo, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Well guys, my first thread, and immediatelly I am asking the hard one...

I'm looking at a Dilemma to be honest, so here it goes:
    Will be buying a new bike, and currently I am fighting between these 2:

KTM Duke 390 (New) +- 5100 EUR
    of
    Ducatie 695 Build. 2006, second hand, around9500km, showroom condition, maintenance and general state I was able to confirm with a Ducati dealer (where the bike went for maintenance) : +- 3600 EUR

Some additional info: The usage of the bike will be limited to a drive on weekdays evenings, when the sun is out, or during the weekend, when the sun is out. I have a full license, so powerratio is not a problem.

Pro's for KTM: New / ABS / Slipper Clutch / Warranty
    Con's for KTM: Price / Do I really need a new bike for the limited use / only a 390, not a "big" bike
    Neutrale: Styling

Pro's for Ducati: Showroom condition / correct maintenance / no accidents / new tyres / low km's / Slipper clutch - ducati variant / Price / It's a Ducati
    Con's for Ducati: second hands / No ABS
    Neutrale: Styling

Some I cant seem to make up my mind, but so far I am leaning towards the Ducati, although he was a bit ruff (shaking) in first and second during slow speed and slow speed corners. Perhaps to be solved by changing gearing.

While it will be more or less biased, I am looking for your contribution.

Regards,

2. I've not ridden a 695, but I do own a 390Duke.

KTM Duke 390 Forum

I had a choice at time of purchase to buy either the 390 or a 690, I bought the 390. It is simply a brilliant machine.

Note, the 15 models have numerous upgrades/mods compared to the earlier models... IMO, do not get an early one.

The 390 may only be a 373cc single, but at a 130kg weight it's ridiculously light and you see 90mph with ease... it will edge past 95 and hit 100mph, but the last 2-3mph it finds hard.

Build quality on mine has been fantastic, but there are reports of issues with the Fan on the US models... easily replaced. Other than that...they are sweet little machines :)

3. Hi Weeksy thanks for your comment, I am sure it's a great bike, problem is none of the dealers in Belgium have a demo of that bike...they only carry the RC390, which is the same engine, but a completely different bike altogether, and thus not comparable. Then there is also the 1500€ difference...and I have a feeling others might not see the duke as a "big bike"...since I am coming from a Honda MSX, I am looking for a "normal bike".

4. It is indeed physically a smallish bike yes, although that's more the perception from the outside rather than riding it, when riding it's not cramped or small at all.

There's a 1500E difference yes, but also nearly 10 years in age , 10,000 miles of use, plus a warranty.

5. After years away from riding, I spent quite a bit of time researching and looking at a variety of bikes before settling on a 2007 M695 in excellent condition. A new Duke 390 was high on my list of possible purchases, and would have cost around the same as a good used 695. I'm very happy with my decision, but that's a matter of personal preference and I can see the attraction of the 390, particularly the soon-to-arrive updated version. It's a sweet ride, although I found the riding position more forward and less comfortable than the Monster. I was also unimpressed by the quality of welds on the KTM frame, which were uneven and blobby in places. Some welds looked like they had been done by someone at their first welding class. I have heard of a couple of reliability issues, but otherwise I'm sure it's a good bike and excellent value. Good luck with your decision.

6. I think he/she may have already made it. This thread goes back to 1st July 2015 :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information