1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster 821 Starting Issue Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ben Donnelly, May 25, 2017.

1. Hi everyone,
    Had my monster 6 weeks and everything has been perfect and then it just won't start.. I've charged the battery and no errors show. If you can take a look at my video and shed any light that would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. What does the battery voltage say??
    Is the bike and therefore the battery 6weeks old or have you had it for 6weeks but it's a bike that's older than that?

3. Hi,
    Voltage was 12.2 last time I checked, the video was taken after an overnight charge on an optimate. I tried starting clutch in in gear, foot stand up, shifted up and back to N. The bike is a 15 plate 1 previous owner, I took delivery from Ducati 6 weeks ago.
    Thanks, Ben

4. Sounds like new battery required. 12.2 is actually rather low and the clicking sounds could well be the sprag clutch slipping, which is what happens when the battery hasn't got enough energy to spin the engine properly. Try jumping the bike by attaching jump-leads to your battery terminals - the right way round!! If it starts, your battery's shagged.

Or just take the battery to a battery wholesaler on your local industrial estate and get them to test it.

I've given up leaving my battery on permanent charge, I just give it an occasional top up.

5. Thanks Oldrider,
    Much appreciated

6. If and when you get a new battery, don't just get anything that fits, get an AGM battery, preferably a Yuasa. AGM batteries have a much higher Cold Cranking Amps rating than ordinary lead acid batteries, making them much more suitable for cranking a big V twin

Do Not Sell My Personal Information