1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster 900 Carbs Wanted

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by doogalman, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Has anyone got a set of standard carbs for a Monster 900 for sale?
    Not wanting modified carbs (dynojet or other), as putting bike back to standard and other than maybe a clean I would like to put them on push the button and ride.
    Pm me if you have anything.
    Roy

2. Should be identical to SS carbs iirc.

3. Yes I've heard that also. I don't have a manual to hand because I'm in the uk away from my home. Can anyone confirm if all the jetting is the same?

4. adding @Nasher to the list of Monster knowledgeable people who might be able to confirm

I have a M900, and am pretty sure it is the exact same engine etc as the 900SS, including carb setup, but can't be 100% sure

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. etcbluepete

Hi, and thanks for the endorsement, which I'm not sure I deserve.

The M900 and 900SS carbs are the same basic carbs, but I think they are jetted slightly differently - see below.
    I'll have a look late tonight when I'm home.

Only the very first Monsters had engines the same spec as an SS, after that the cylinder heads on the Monster were changed to ones with smaller valves, which is why 900SS 'V2' heads are sought after by M900 owners.

My own 1997 M900 came with them already fitted. Interestingly I have documentary evidence from the Ducati dealer who supplied the bike new that they changed them to the earlier 'big valve' heads at the first owners request before it was even collected.

The big bore 900/966 engine I've just built up for my 900SS Mongrel uses a Monster bottom end, a V2 horizontal head and a V1 vertical head. The V1 and V2 are interchangeable in theory because only the seat material is different.

I have a set of Carbs for it, but would only pass them on if I can find a set of Flatslides at a decent price to replace them.

Nasher

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Carbs basically the same; jetting is different. Here are 1997 SS jets etc.

1997 SS jets.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Had a look over lunch.

Some subtle differences according to the part numbers:

900SS 94-97 M900 93 M900 94 M900 98
    Main 140/145 Main 140/145 Main 140/145 Main 142.5
    Starting 70 Starting 70 Starting 70 Starting 70
    Idle 37.5/42.5 Idle 40 Idle 40 Idle 37.5/35
    Needle 5C19 Needle 5C19 Needle 5C19 Needle Monster 900

Interestingly the early Monster and SS share a needle at first, but the later Monster has a different Ducati part number that is no longer Mikuni branded and doesn't give a clue to the spec, but does even have monster 900 in it's description.

I'd suggest the jet changes are more of a development thing, and maybe to cure a lumpy idle with the smaller valve heads, but the needle change could be significant if the shape changed.

The changes to the valve sizes were slightly different to what I thought.
    The later Monster had a smaller intake but larger Exhaust, probably to move the torque/power curve and restrict peak power.

900SS 94-97 M900 93/94 M900 98
    E 38 E 38 E 41
    I 43 I 43 I 35

I do know the valve size took place before 1997, so the part numbers are a bit out of time.

Nasher.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information