1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster M900

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Leonlc, Oct 15, 2020.

1. When I introduced this bike a couple of weeks ago there was an interest for me to create a build thread :)
    So, I will oblige even though the updates will be sparse. I will try and document as much of the build as possible. My intention was to create a channel for the rebuild but that seems far too much work with recording, editing and all the related bullsh!t. I haven't got time for all that also. So a build thread it is...

The initial phase of cleaning the bike up took a few weekends and now I have an idea of what I am in for.
    First on my list was the exhaust rebuild as the bike idle was so loud just after a few minutes your ears would be ringing. It was never going to pass the Swedish MOT with it spitting so many decibels out. After stripping the cannisters I could see why...

Below: It looked in good condition before the rebuild with a little tarnish on the headers (which actually looks cool) but very good for the age.

IMG_9378.jpg

Below: So this was was it was so loud. The old wadding so so hard and broken near the front of the cannisters. Pretty much a straight through.

IMG_9382.jpg

Below: The opposite cannister was not as badly burned but still with rot and little to no sound absorption left, after 20years of use I guess.

IMG_9393.jpg

Below: New wadding wrapped and ready for installation.

IMG_9396.jpg IMG_9397.jpg

Below: Headers all cleaned up, cannisters assembled, sealed, pop riveted and ready for installation...next year :)

IMG_9412.jpg

Below: So next we have started with removing the foot peg hangers for cleaning and refurb as they are stained from brake fluid I guess.

thumbnail_IMG_9415.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Nice workshop :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks @final_edition it makes those cold winter evenings more enjoyable

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. And in Sweden the evenings are usually cold -especially when the sea is frozen solid...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Unfortunately the winters are more like Autumn these days.
    Doesn't hurt to have a warm comfy workshop to work in and watch WSBK, BSB and MotoGP while wrenching though.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Might be a good idea to get some watertight plugs for the chopped frame rails

• Like Like x 1
  7. Actually the previous owner stuck some rubber wheel valves in those holes and used construction plate to create a number plate holder which looked tacky. So, I will definitely source some appropriate plugs and a tail tidy to neaten the rear up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hey Guys,
    So I am starting to take stock of what I require for the project. At the moment I am looking for a battery tray/lower airbox panel. Mine was obviously damaged at some stage by a leaking battery.
    Please drop me a message and let me know what you have laying around?

Airbox_damage.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information