1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster Renovation

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Tony Richardson, Jul 30, 2020.

1. I have just bought a 06 Monster 695 which is in generally ok condition apart from the front area of the engine, short mudguard syndrome, the finning of the cylinders has gone a dirty dull grey and the lower front cylinder head lower metal cover is very cruddy, any tips on what’s best to use for a deep clean of the engine in general?

2. Strip to the crankcases and then cerakote....

• Like Like x 3
  3. I was on my phone last night....my elaborating 2 cents....

Ive seen countless numbers of posts on engine rebuilds and when it comes to coatings pretty well all the ones that ive seen where the owner has pulled the motor, masked it off, had a go at sanding it down then sprayed it with a rattle can...its never lasted....and sometimes in a comedically short amount of time!

The best way to do it is to pull the motor, strip it to the crankcases and then get it blasted and in turn then choose your weapon, (either cerakote, xylan, or powder coat), I did mine 2 years ago now and not one flake has come off - its weathered really well and when my z1000 needs the motor pulling for whatever reason, then itll get exactly the same treatment...costs...but, you get what yer pays for..!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Looks like I have myself a winter project then!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mega expensive tho, 3k for an engine strip & rebuild? Maybe drop motor, rub and mask and get a pro to paint would be a half way solution

• Like Like x 1
  6. Absolutely...i totally agree but for any paint to stick inside those fins itll have to be blasted (just my opinion) and no one (whose worth their salt) will blast a complete engine even when masked off but i may be wrong....

• Like Like x 1
  7. If it's bare aluminium that's started to oxidise or gather carbon deposits, the most effective product I've found (that isn't stripping to vapour blast) is Race Glaze Alubright followed by their Jet Laq product to treat/seal. Best results I've had on anything that wasn't blast cleaned.

An alternative I've heard of but never had done myself is dry ice blasting. Not quite as effective as a full vapour blast but I understand it's one of the only things that can be done without stripping the engine. Read about in a bike magazine article buy have no idea where I'd go for this, certainly in the York area.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have ordered some and will update results when it arrives.

9. Perhaps not the best photo, but the left carb has been cleaned up with Alubright and the right is at they both came off my ‘89 RGV. All of the brown stuff isn’t oil but fuel varnish (and sadly for me every jet, crevice and aperture inside was much, much worse!).

32032296-2F0D-40B7-B0C5-921D37782106.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information